Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 05-17-2011, 12:21 AM

I have been tossing around ideas on my paint scheme, still nothing is set in stone. Originally I planned to paint only the wheels, deck, and brinly adapter white, making everything else red. Lately I have been thinking about adding a little more color to it, have been tossing around the idea of adding white to the engine, lower dash, and tunnel cover. Another idea was to stick to my original plan, except for changing the engine color to gloss black, looking at the red cubs (82 series), there motors (although not visible because of the side covers) are kind of a semigloss black. As of right now, this is the plan I am leaning towards, since my engine will be visible, I think the gloss black would really set it off, plus I am kind of anal and like shiney things ( I even mirror polished the carb bowl)...lol. If you looked over the thread, you should have seen my custom made decals for the hood!
IH Red 782 with weights and sleeve hitch!
IH snow blade, Brinly plow, Brinly disk, Brinly harrow, Johnson rear blade, and a #2 IH Cart
Old 05-17-2011, 09:45 PM

I like the 56 series tractors so that is the layout I am pulling for, but what ever pattern you use will look good. Can't wait to see the end results!!
Old 05-18-2011, 05:18 PM

Any idea what model CCs have a grille similar to the 66 series ag tractors? I've seen some later CC GTs (red ones) with the 'tic tac toe' grille as seen in the picture, but the front end on those appear to lean forward slightly so I'm doubting the grill insert would swap to the older wide frame tractors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westofb View Post
I have been tossing around ideas on my paint scheme, still nothing is set in stone. Originally I planned to paint only the wheels, deck, and brinly adapter white, making everything else red. Lately I have been thinking about adding a little more color to it, have been tossing around the idea of adding white to the engine, lower dash, and tunnel cover. Another idea was to stick to my original plan, except for changing the engine color to gloss black, looking at the red cubs (82 series), there motors (although not visible because of the side covers) are kind of a semigloss black. As of right now, this is the plan I am leaning towards, since my engine will be visible, I think the gloss black would really set it off, plus I am kind of anal and like shiney things ( I even mirror polished the carb bowl)...lol. If you looked over the thread, you should have seen my custom made decals for the hood!
In the picture I posted above, the engine is red. But the final say in the color choice you make is what models you take inspiration from. Is anyone on here good at photoshop? It sure would cost a lot less than to repaint a tractor! Here's one with a narrow front end (I'd skip that as it's less stable. Maybe if I grew 1/4 scale crops and didn't use it to mow I'd consider it)
NOT MY PICTURE
Old 05-18-2011, 05:27 PM

Looks like things are going great. Keep un informed.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red211 View Post
I like the 56 series tractors so that is the layout I am pulling for, but what ever pattern you use will look good. Can't wait to see the end results!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCJavelin74 View Post
Any idea what model CCs have a grille similar to the 66 series ag tractors? I've seen some later CC GTs (red ones) with the 'tic tac toe' grille as seen in the picture, but the front end on those appear to lean forward slightly so I'm doubting the grill insert would swap to the older wide frame tractors.

I am trying to make it look like it would have been done by cub cadet, had they made a red and white version as they did in the 82 series....I am sorry but I have no idea what a 56 or 66 series tractors look like! Photoshop would be cool to see different schemes, but I am doing great to just send emails and posting to threads here, that is beyond by knowledge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH Nate View Post
Looks like things are going great. Keep un informed.
Thanks for the compliments, don't worry will be posting more pics and updates as they are made....been hard getting time to work on it, the wife has too big of a lists of things for me to do...LOL!
IH snow blade, Brinly plow, Brinly disk, Brinly harrow, Johnson rear blade, and a #2 IH Cart
Old 05-18-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I am trying to make it look like it would have been done by cub cadet, had they made a red and white version as they did in the 82 series....I am sorry but I have no idea what a 56 or 66 series tractors look like! !

It depends on the era... basing it off ag tractors (often inspiration for LT and GT stylists), like the picture, the engine would be red. However, just like the later (red) CCs, the ag tractors as well had black painted engines if I'm right. Might need to google it under 'pictures' to be sure. Being that my 128 is from the early 70s, I'd like to paint it based off similar era IH tractors, but your tractor is your 'canvas'- a more contemporary black engine and 'hockey stick stripe' would look good as well in my opinion. Just keep your decals in mind, so the lettering can show.

I think a cyclops would be cool to do up like the IH turbine tractor prototype... see the resemblance?
http://www.antiquefarm.org/mainsite/...e_tractor.html

Old 05-18-2011, 11:08 PM

If you can't photo shop it there is one other option. You could get some red paper and white paper (or maybe some colored plastic sheeting) and just tape them to the parts you want to paint that color to get a visual. Then if you don't like it change it around. It wouldn't look perfect but it would give you a real life idea. I do a lot of mocking up on anything I am custom making. I don't do as good without a visual.
Can't wait to see what you come up with.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub149 View Post
If you can't photo shop it there is one other option. You could get some red paper and white paper (or maybe some colored plastic sheeting) and just tape them to the parts you want to paint that color to get a visual. Then if you don't like it change it around. It wouldn't look perfect but it would give you a real life idea. I do a lot of mocking up on anything I am custom making. I don't do as good without a visual.
Can't wait to see what you come up with.
That would be a good idea, but currently my tractor is in about a thousand pieces and scattered all over my shop.....LOL!

I have a new question, does anyone know if the hood, grill assembly, and side panels would fit on my 149 from a 1200? I realize there might be a little fabrication involved, but are they fairly close to the same dimensions? The only reason I ask is I have found one with a bad motor for sale and is supposed to have a good 44A deck and wheel weights. I am sure the deck will work with a few mods, and I haven't found any weights yet (that I could afford anyway). I have seen where people have used some of the grill pieces from one on a 149, but I haven't actually seen one in person to be able to see if the hood and side panels could be modified to fit. I am waiting on pics of it to see if it even interests me (owner says it is in great shape, everyone knows what they say about opinions...lol!), hoping it is a later model with the 82 series looking steering wheel, was wanting to change to that style. The more stuff I can use off if it, kind of makes it more justifiable to buy!
Old 05-19-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
T
I have a new question, does anyone know if the hood, grill assembly, and side panels would fit on my 149 from a 1200? I realize there might be a little fabrication involved, but are they fairly close to the same dimensions?
If the seller lives nearby, take some measurements of his tractor. If need be, I can take some measurements of my 128 for you (your 149 is basically the same- 2hp and a hydrostatic trans is the difference).

Otherwise, if you think the 1200 is an easy fix, fix it and sell it for a profit to fund the 149.

BTW, I like the 'mockup' paper idea!
Old 05-19-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCJavelin74 View Post
If the seller lives nearby, take some measurements of his tractor. If need be, I can take some measurements of my 128 for you (your 149 is basically the same- 2hp and a hydrostatic trans is the difference).

Otherwise, if you think the 1200 is an easy fix, fix it and sell it for a profit to fund the 149.

BTW, I like the 'mockup' paper idea!
Your tractor and mine would pass for twins at a short distance, the are exactly the same, except the differences you pointed out and that mine has a hydraulic lift on it. The problem is the 1200 is about 100 miles away, if I am going to drive my thirsty truck with trailer in tow, would want to just go ahead and get it bought. I will wait on the pics, might just get it for the weights and a later project.