Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT)

Notices

Old 04-28-2024, 12:38 PM

Default New XT2 LX42 Enduro - Clanking Noise When Blades Are Engaged

Recently purchased a XT2 LX42 Enduro Lawn Tractor. Yesterday I took it out to mow the grass for the 3rd time since it was delivered. After about 45 minutes of mowing, I engaged the blades and the mower started making a "clanking" noise. The frequency matches the revolutions of the blades... that is, the clanking is more frequent the faster the blades are rotating.

I have removed the bagger chute from the deck. No change in the noise.

I have looked under the the deck and spun the blades by hand. I don't see any evidence of "metal on metal" contact under the deck or on the blades.

Above the deck, most of the pulleys and shafts seem secure. No movement in most of them. The one item that does have a bit of possible "slop" is the idler pulley assembly that moves to take up the slack in the belt and engage the blades. I can move this assembly vertically up and down a reasonable amount if I grab it and wiggle it up and down. Essentually, it can be pivoted up and down around the shaft if one grabs the pulley as far out as possible and attempts to move it vertically. It's doesn't seem to be moving vertically on the shaft... the whole mechanism seems to be able to pivot a bit where it is mounted to the deck.

VIDEO

This may be normal behavior - I don't know.

I have watched from the side of the mower as my wife engaged the blade and it could be that the drive belt is slapping metal as the blade engages.

VIDEO

Could it be the drive belt is stretched after only a little over 5 hours of use?

Best regards,

Scott
Old 04-28-2024, 01:21 PM
Grand Member

Your second video looks like vibration.
My guess is you have a bent blade and bent blades vibrate.
Take both blades off and lay one on top of the other.
They should fit each other like spoons in yer ol' lady's fine silverware drawer.

Another possibility, a blade (or blades) are loose on the spindle.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
Your second video looks like vibration.
My guess is you have a bent blade and bent blades vibrate.
Take both blades off and lay one on top of the other.
They should fit each other like spoons in yer ol' lady's fine silverware drawer.

Another possibility, a blade (or blades) are loose on the spindle.
Ironman,

Thank you for your thoughtful post...

I will look into the "bent blade" possibility but... I had been mowing for about 45 minutes with no symptoms and then, without knowingly striking anything, the symptoms appeared.

While under the deck checking for visible indications of metal on metal, I also grabbed the blades and, in addition to turning them to see if they contacted anything while rotating, checked to see if either blade was loose on its spindle. The blades seemed secure when I did this.

I'm probably missing something obvious but I am quite puzzled by this.

Best regards,

Scott
Old 04-29-2024, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Take another video like the last one where you turn the blades on. Make it quite a bit longer so we can see more action of the belt. Maybe 3 minutes or so.

Edit. Make sure there is not something stuck in one of the pulleys, in the V section where the belt rides. I had that happen one time and I thought something had broke. It happened all of a sudden.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubDieselFan View Post
Edit. Make sure there is not something stuck in one of the pulleys, in the V section where the belt rides. I had that happen one time and I thought something had broke. It happened all of a sudden.
CubDieselFan,

What you have described here probably mirrors my situation. I will try to examine the pulleys more closely and see if I find anything.

I will also be doing some more troubleshooting in the next day or so. Today was occupied by other duties.

Best regards,

Scott
Old 04-29-2024, 07:21 PM

Another option , if new its under warranty get dealer to fix
Oz
Old 05-02-2024, 06:47 AM

possible a weld broke on the blade shrouds underneath that guide the trimmings to the exit , this happened to my old 1054 , if it was a bent blade there would be no maybe what it is , the deck would vibrate and shake so bad instinct is to shut it down , noise complaint would be a secondary concern , if its new like you say i agree take it back take it back

while you have the deck off look at blade timing
Old 05-02-2024, 07:14 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopharted View Post
possible a weld broke on the blade shrouds underneath that guide the trimmings to the exit , this happened to my old 1054 , if it was a bent blade there would be no maybe what it is , the deck would vibrate and shake so bad instinct is to shut it down , noise complaint would be a secondary concern , if its new like you say i agree take it back take it back

while you have the deck off look at blade timing
Blade timing is only a concern if the deck uses "timed blades"
Old 05-02-2024, 10:09 AM
Grand Member

I've seen broken bearings make a noise and vibration only when the deck is engaged. They feel fine when spun by hand.
1282 | 44C Deck, Chains, 42" Blade, Cast Weights, 020" Over K301 * 1711 | 50C Deck, #1 Rear Rototiller w/ Extensions, Sleeve Hitch, KT17S Series II 24302 --> CH18S * 1811 | 46 GT Deck, 42" Blade, Chains, M18 Magnum, Sleeve Hitch * 1782 | 60" #375 Deck, Kubota D640 Diesel * 1862 | #450 Snowblower, M18 Magnum * 782 | Y/W KT17 Series II, Sleeve Hitch * 984 | Y/W Onan/Linamar 20HP, Sims Cab, CAT 0 3 PT w/ Rear PTO, 60" #374 Deck
Old 05-05-2024, 08:58 PM

Thanks to all who took time to respond to my post...

It occurred to me that the noise the deck had been making when engaging the blade was so intimidating that I was disengaging the blades prior to them really getting spun up.

Last night I went out to my shop and started the Lawn Tractor. I then engaged the blades at full throttle and waited a few seconds.

The initial commotion and noise reduced considerably after waiting a few seconds. It wasn't completely gone but it didn't seem as concerning as when I was being timid with the engagement.

I shut down my machine and went to bed.

Today I decided to try mowing with it. Again the noise was still there initially but, after a few minutes passed, the noise was so muted as to be almost gone. After 15 minutes or less of mowing, the machine no longer made any of the noises that had concerned me and seemed completely normal.

I mowed my yard, which takes a bit over 2 hours, without the noise returning.

Weird.

Best regards,

Scott