Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Engines > Kohler Engines

Notices

Old 12-22-2023, 07:45 AM

Default Using gas with 10% ethanol

I always use Stabil fuel treatment in my Cadet riding lawnmower with 87 octane regular gas that has 10% ethanol. Is this ok?
Old 12-22-2023, 09:54 AM

I have doing the same for the last decade with great results. I see no reason to change.
54" Deck
451 Snow Blower
42" Plow
Old 12-22-2023, 10:30 AM

Default Using Stabil in 10% ethanol fuel

10% ethanol gas works fine in older Cub Cadet equipment, from what others have commented on regarding the appropriate fuel for these older engines. I use only non-ethanol fuel in my outdoor equipment to protect my investment. I am able to obtain it from gas stations near lake Ontario, where I live. Many boaters use it in their older outboard motors, so it is readily available...for now. If you think about it, gas with 10% ethanol might be cheaper to buy, however when you figure the additional cost for the Stabil you put in the gas, you might not be saving much compared to the slightly higher cost for the non-ethanol fuel, if it is available.

I understand that Stabil keeps the ethanol from separating in the gas mixture, which can cause engine problems. The addition of ethanol to fuel was an idea to reduce oil consumption in America. Stabil was formulated to solve the separation problem created by the mixture when the fuel sat unused over time.

Funny...I live 12 miles away from the only ethanol plant in New York State. The only thing grown in the farm fields around me is corn for the ethanol plant. Regardless, ethanol gas is no less expensive here than anywhere else!

If you have ever watched videos of "Project Farm" on youtube, he demonstrates that fuel containing ethanol burns hotter than non-ethanol fuel. Over time, the additional heat may shorten the life of your engine. I try to use gas that is similar to what was available when these engines were made to obtain the best outcome for my equipment. Everyone is free to use whatever they want, so the choice is up to you.
Old 12-22-2023, 04:59 PM

I always use the pump gas with ethanol and have no issues, in the fall when I fill my gas can I put the marine grade stabil in and I always use the MMO every can of gas !
Old 12-22-2023, 06:09 PM

I have seen Ethanol turn the plastic hoses on equipment to a jelly like state , so would I use it , No , the supposed saving is negligible when you factor in any repair cost associated with its usage
As to its environmental benefits ?????????????
Oz
Old 12-23-2023, 09:00 AM
Senior Moderator

I use regular 87 pump gas with ethanol. In the summer when I burning a can + a week I don't add anything but when I get near the end of summer I use Star Tron. I've had gas with Star Tron in my motorcycle that was 2 years old and it was still good.

http://www.starbrite.com/item/star-t...oline-additive
Old 12-23-2023, 10:52 AM
Grand Member

I hate ethanol.
That said, never had an issue with gas in my tractors/equipment unless the tanks set more than 2 years with fuel in them.
I purchase fuel in 55 gal drums and all fuel pumped out goes through a fuel filter in the line from the hand pump.
The fuel in small 5 gallon cans goes through a screened funnel.
I use no snake oil additives.
just my $.02
Old 12-24-2023, 10:29 AM

Default Ethanol in gasoline

What about the inefficiency of E10 gasoline? Automobiles lose about 3 miles per gallon when using ethanol blended fuel. Ethanol dilutes the oil in the crankcase, makes the engine run hotter and is less efficient than non-ethanol gas. Three good reasons to avoid it!

I prefer to use synthetic oil and non-ethanol gas in my Cubs to increase the efficiency and longevity of my equipment. Why feed your engine "junk food"! If you have non-ethanol gas available, use it. Of course if you like to eat "junk food" and prefer to feed your Cubs "junk food" (gas with ethanol), then do as you must!

After all, this website is all about fixing Cub Cadets...You shouldn't be denied the opportunity to rebuild your engine, as that is part of the fun of owning Cub Cadets!

Merry Christmas! Ho! Ho! Ho!
Old 12-25-2023, 06:45 PM

Dilutes the oil in the crank case?
You do realize the Kohler crankcase oil is an open system and volatile solvents in the oil would boil out and leave through the breather.
From the previous post about NY trying move to all ethanol blended gas and this post I think you still are trying to to make out ethanol to be this evil boogyman of all your engine troubles. No gasoline should be left in gas tanks for long term storage without some special treatment. Clean and adjust the carbonator from the manuals instructions to get the fuel mixture right for the fuel you are running it on. And any fuel hoses that you don't know how old they are, replace with modern rubber lines sold as working with up to 10% ethanol.
Old 12-26-2023, 09:54 AM

Default Ethanol fuel usage

I ask, if ethanol fuel is so great, why do they still sell non-ethanol fuel??

Haven't you ever changed the oil in an an old tractor or car and smelled a hint of gasoline in the oil? It does happen! Perhaps caused by bad rings and/or incomplete combustion.

One more thing...why change Cub Cadets and other equipment that works well already, to run on fuel that is less efficient and looks like urine. Older cubs were made to run on unleaded, non-ethanol fuel, which was the appropriate fuel for these engines at the time. Sure, they will run on ethanol laced gas, however if you like older equipment and like to restore older equipment, why not use the older spec fuel intended for this equipment...for best results!

Most cars can use E10 fuel but not E15. E10 and E15 are blended for specific types of vehicles. Ethanol and non-ethanol fuel is available for the same reason. Doesn't it make sense to use the most appropriate fuel for the vintage of your equipment? Yes it does...and that's why it's made!!

There seems to be two schools of thought regarding the use of ethanol/non-ethanol fuel, so on this topic, everyone can decide for themselves.

One more thing regarding the availability of fuel in New York...If the crazy corrupt liberals in NY government can stop the sale of gasoline powered cars in New York State by 2035,
you can be sure they will eliminate fuels for engines THEY FEEL affect "climate change". This could spell the end of our Cub Cadet fun in the long run! When that happens, it will be time to leave New York State for good!!!