Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT)

Notices

Old 02-03-2024, 05:52 PM

Default Chasing a Starting Problem

I have looked through many of the threads regarding battery/solenoid/starting issues but haven't found one that replicates my issue. Perhaps someone here has some insight.

My tractor is an XT1 46", 13APA1CT056, mfg in 2016. It has served me well since I bought it used in late 2019.

About a six weeks ago, I ran into a rapid clicking sound coming from underneath the battery, did some investigations, and figured out it was a bad solenoid. I replaced it and it operated well for a few weeks. We had a severe cold snap here following Christmas and the tractor sat idle for a couple of weeks.

I tried to start it back up after the thaw and i got one popping sound from what sounded like the battery, not the solenoid, and then nothing. I checked the newly replaced solenoid for operation and continuity and it checked out just fine. The starter cranks over just fine when connected directly to a battery.

Trying to crank gives no sound from the solenoid, not even clicking. Battery tests as OK according to the auto shop, and I charged it up and is delivering a good 12.8 V, but I am very suspicious that it is actually still good given that this happened just after a severe (for Oklahoma, at least) period of cold. Battery is 3 years old.

I am left with the thought that it is either a bad battery or a bad connection from the battery to the solenoid.

I think that I am going to get a new battery for the coming season unless someone else has something that I should try.

Thanks

Brian
Old 02-03-2024, 06:37 PM
Grand Member

If I were you, I'd be making sure the all the connections are nice, bright and tight before determining the that battery is faulty. Look at both ends of each cables, including GROUND!

Then, if that doesn't fix the problem.... There could be a few other things besides the battery. Why? Your shop has determined the battery to be OK, so you say!
#2 Cart
QA36 snowthower
Old 02-04-2024, 07:07 AM

I am pretty sure there is a in-line fuse. Sounds like you could have blown that (thus the popping sound).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shot2975.jpg (51.9 KB, 46 views)
Old 02-04-2024, 07:51 AM
Grand Member

If the starter spins fine when hooked directly to the Battery, then
obviously the starter and Battery are ok.
You need to start chasing the power path starting at the bat.
follow the wiring diagram as you go.
Also as mentioned, check for a fuse as well, and if you heard a "pop" it could be a loose/broken connection loosing its power path.

If you jump across the 2 large terminals of the Sol. does the starter spin?
if so, them your high amperage circuit is ok.
then put a positive jumper to the small terminal of the sol. from the bat.
That should cause the sol to click, and starter to spin.
if so, you have to follow why you are not getting power to the start terminal on the solenoid.

Do understand I have never worked on these newer lawnmowers but this is just common circuitry of starting systems.
Old 02-04-2024, 09:33 AM

Default Chasing a starting problem...

Is it possible that the safety switches on the brake, seat and pto could be the problem. A weak circuit could reduce power to the starter causing it not to start or to start intermittently.

There is a diagram on the OCC site that shows how to incorporate a relay in the starter circuit to supply full voltage from the battery to the starter. The relay is activated by the completed circuit of the safety switches (even if it's a little weak) connected to one of the terminals on the relay. I put one of these on my 1864 and now it never fails to start.

I have two 1641's that occasionally act up, so I bought some more relays to install on them when the weather warms up. You can find them on ebay really cheap. I purchased five of them for around 10 bucks plus tax with free shipping and a 2 year warranty. They come with sockets to wire them up too. Got them from "skyline-autoparts". I've seen them go for much more when sold specifically for tractors...should work on most any model tractor.
Old 02-04-2024, 10:43 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evhevh View Post
I am pretty sure there is a in-line fuse. Sounds like you could have blown that (thus the popping sound).
I'm on board with the fuse....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-02-04 103739.jpg (19.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-02-04 104017.jpg (7.8 KB, 35 views)
Old 02-04-2024, 09:25 PM

Default Chasing a starting problem

The blown fuse makes sense. If it's ok, then check the safety switches next.

Tags
battery, solenoid, starter