View Single Post
Old 04-09-2024, 08:22 AM

Default The 108 with a broken axle!

Not to get ahead of myself, but I've been thinking of a phrase that has come to mind with me and my collections before, "The cheap ones are the best"
A couple weeks ago I was getting parts at my local CC dealer, and I saw a really straight 108 just outside their door with the front end sitting on the ground, one wheel on the seat and one sitting next to the front of the tractor, looking quite defeated. The front axle was broken apart on both sides. I asked the gentleman at the parts counter what the deal was with it, he said that it came in for service, was finished, and then not strapped down properly. Supposedly it barely made it out of the driveway before falling off of the customer's truck and landing square on the pavement. I asked what their plan was, they said they're trying to find an axle but probably won't get one. After being told that one of my parts would have to be ordered in, I said, "Nice, maybe when I come to pick it up you WON'T have found an axle by then".
Well of course, they didn't want to mess with it any more. I got it purchased for a nice lew price when I came back for parts. This has got to be one of the best running K series I've ever had, maybe the best. I didn't even try to start it when I got it, but I've ran it since and it seems to be in very good shape. Now, I have a spare narrow frame front axle, but given that I don't want a downgrade, and I do have a 1535 Cyclops sitting under a semi trailer, I think the 108 is going to be treated to a Cyclops axle swap. I'm under the impression that it's pretty much a straightforward swap. Looking forward to this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 108 on Jimmy.jpg (31.8 KB, 137 views)
'79 JD 400 - 60" deck
"Projects" '67 123, '65 102, '71 126