View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 07:19 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjardina View Post
It is interesting that you are going through this Wayne. I was just mowing my mother-in-laws lawn and the mower started running rough and white smoke puffed out of the front of the mower. It smelled like a burning clutch. Now my PTO will not disengage, no matter where I have the handle. I am guessing I somehow cooked the clutch in the PTO, but I am not sure? Can't tell from outside inspection.

I just bought my 128 a few weeks ago and was hoping to get through the summer and do a full restore/rebuild in the winter, but...

Is it normal for these to blow white smoke and stink when they fail?
In jjardina's case, it could be possible that one of his deck spindles has seized, or is tightening up and is causing his PTO pulley to spin in the belt and make smoke. If the deck is causing restriction he would not be able to spin the PTO pulley by hand when it is in the disengaged position. I would suggest that he remove the belt and make sure the deck and mule drive pulleys all turn freely to eliminate that possibility. Also with the belt off he should be able to spin the PTO pulley freely while it is in the disengage (handle back) position.