Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

P&K Cub Cadet Machtech Direct

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Everyone, we have 2 new Sponsors!
Machtech Direct and P&K Cub Cadet (See Links above)

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT)

Notices

Old 05-06-2012, 03:22 PM

Default HDS2155 Fuel Problems

I have an HDS2155 with a Kohler Command CH15 engine. I can mow only a short time before it is starved for fuel. I have replaced the carb and fuel filter (last year), fuel pump, fuel filter, and all fuel lines and checked the bowl for sediment (this year). I checked for blockages in the tank. Symptoms have improved only slightly, if at all. When it begins starving under load, I can stop, shut off the deck, drop the throttle about half way and pull the choke all the way out and let the fuel pump "catch up" until the carb bowl is full again (I am assuming this is what is happening based on what I see through the fuel filter and the way it is running.) I've tried running it with the gas cap removed with no luck. Without choking it, it dies. Sometimes it dies anyway.

The only 2 ideas I have left are:
The lobe driving the fuel pump arm is worn and not allowing a full stroke of the arm

or

The fuel line I installed is too small (1/4" - that's what I took off of it, so that's what went back on, but in hind sight 5/16 probably would have went on just fine).

Neither of those sound very likely to me. Tractor has about 1030 hours on it.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas, frustrated, and at the end of my rope. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Did you try removing the fuel line from the pump to the carb and crank it to see if your getting a good fuel flow? Maybe something is in the tank and blocking the the fuel line? If it is the cam maybe you can put an electric pump on the tractor.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:01 PM

When you changed the line, did you clean the tank.

A few weeks ago I worked on a deere doing kinda the same thing. The customer live just a few doors down from the shop. I told him how to check the pump, lines ect, kinda what you described. After replacing the lines he thought he had it fixed, mowed for a while the quit again.

He brought it to me and I took the tank out and the pick up tube out. I put a small amount of air into the pick up tube, like back flush and a beatle flew out and hit me in the chest.

I asked him the other day how it was running when he was in for a new chain on his saw, runs like a dream!
Old 05-06-2012, 07:05 PM

I do not have my HDS2155 service book anymore , but do remember reading that when reinstalling fuel pump there was a small problem that it could be put in 2 ways ,however only 1 made the pump work correctly
Sorry I cannot be of anymore help
Old 05-06-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
Did you try removing the fuel line from the pump to the carb and crank it to see if your getting a good fuel flow? Maybe something is in the tank and blocking the the fuel line? If it is the cam maybe you can put an electric pump on the tractor.
Not under the power of the tractor, but I did remove it with the pump unbolted and worked the lever by hand. Pump worked better than I expected, and I ended up squirting fuel all over the flywheel cover. I had considered an electric pump, and its possible it may come to that yet. I just wanted to avoid it if I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_o View Post
When you changed the line, did you clean the tank.

A few weeks ago I worked on a deere doing kinda the same thing. The customer live just a few doors down from the shop. I told him how to check the pump, lines ect, kinda what you described. After replacing the lines he thought he had it fixed, mowed for a while the quit again.

He brought it to me and I took the tank out and the pick up tube out. I put a small amount of air into the pick up tube, like back flush and a beatle flew out and hit me in the chest.

I asked him the other day how it was running when he was in for a new chain on his saw, runs like a dream!
No, I didn't clean it out, but I did blow air back through the new line after it was ran up to the engine. The tank gravity fed itself dry when I unhooked the original line at the filter. I did take a good look inside the tank, and there was nothing obvious blocking flow. There isn't a pick up tube, but instead a plastic molded nipple on the bottom of the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozcubowner View Post
I do not have my HDS2155 service book anymore , but do remember reading that when reinstalling fuel pump there was a small problem that it could be put in 2 ways ,however only 1 made the pump work correctly
Sorry I cannot be of anymore help
Actually, that statement may be all the help I need. I was wondering about that when installing it, but couldn't believe there was more than one way the arm would go around the cam. If there is, considering my symptoms and history, I think I may have it on the wrong side... I think I may be able to download a service manual on Kohler's website. I'll check into it tomorrow and post up what I find out.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!
Old 05-07-2012, 01:00 AM

Mate , the old service manuals are a blessing slept with mine under the pillow (ha ha )
Old 05-20-2012, 11:20 PM

My apologies for taking so long to get back to you folks. Long story short, the fuel pump must have been installed with the arm on the wrong side of the cam lobe. I pulled it and bumped the engine around to see the lobe move, got it into a position where I knew I couldn't put it in wrong, and re-installed it. Worked like a charm. Tractor runs great! Thanks again for all the help!