Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

P&K Cub Cadet Machtech Direct

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Everyone, we have 2 new Sponsors!
Machtech Direct and P&K Cub Cadet (See Links above)

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 12-06-2016, 10:02 PM
Grand Member

I use a multi-meter set on audible to know when the points open. I did 2 Cadets this summer that we had been having cranking trouble with. They were both trying to kick back on the starter. Things are much better now!
So is the starter still having trouble rolling the engine through compression? Your last post reads like its spinning the engine with no trouble now.
124 w/hydraulic lift
782 w/mounted sprayer
2284 w/54" mowing deck
Old 12-07-2016, 11:49 AM

John, Thanks for posting. Still having trouble with starter stopping at compression point. I moved crank back from compression point by hand to give it a running start. This usually works. After starting it yesterday, I let it run for a little while and then shut it off. Let it set for a few minutes and started it. It rolled past the compression point fairly well, but still took quite a few revolutions for the engine to fire. The multi-meter that you have, how loud is the audible? I am a little hard of hearing. Does it have alligator clips or the metal points? I think I would like the audible better than the light as you do not have to keep watching the tester light. I was going to work on it some more today, but I have a Doctor appt. to check out my knee. Thanks for the info and have a great day.
Bob
Old 12-15-2016, 08:57 PM

Got to work on my 149 yesterday. Checked valve clearance and they were in spec. Still will not pass compression stroke unless I turn engine back by hand to give it a running start, then It will pass the compression stroke and start. Bought a test light and reset time. Was just barely off. Did not help. Then reset points to break a little past the "S" mark toward the "T" to retard a little. Did not help. I just feel that the compression is a little too much. The S/G has been rebuilt and turns engine over good once it has passed the compression stroke. Any one know of a thicker head gasket to reduce compression a little? I rechecked the opening of the exhaust valve and it is starting to open about 1/2 crank turn before firing so ACR seems to be working properly. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks and have a great evening.
Bob
Old 12-15-2016, 09:04 PM
Grand Member

For some reason I think we acquired a 129 once that had too large of a pulley on the S/G. I'm not where I can measure one to see what it should be. Just wondering if the pulley is too large and killing your power. For giggles, have you tried a different battery? Maybe even rig up a way to bypass the starting circuit, just wondering if you have a bad switch/wiring that's dropping the voltage to the starter.
124 w/hydraulic lift
782 w/mounted sprayer
2284 w/54" mowing deck
Old 12-15-2016, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hall View Post
For some reason I think we acquired a 129 once that had too large of a pulley on the S/G. I'm not where I can measure one to see what it should be. Just wondering if the pulley is too large and killing your power. For giggles, have you tried a different battery? Maybe even rig up a way to bypass the starting circuit, just wondering if you have a bad switch/wiring that's dropping the voltage to the starter.
Wrong pulley on the S/G is a good idea.
Or a bad engine ground. That would also do it.

I promise, your compression isn't too high. You can raise it quite a bit and it will still roll over if the ACR is working. You say it is, so you must have a different issue. You say the S/G was rebuilt. By a shop? Or you threw a new set of brushes in it and called it rebuilt? Was the armature checked for shorts/opens is what I want to know......
Old 12-15-2016, 11:06 PM
Grand Member

I had a 125 years ago that kicked back on the starter generator bad... I had two old timer starter generator shops look at my S/G... both said it was fine.... Finally one day out of desperation I took the S/G off another tractor and tried it on the 125.... Guess what! That was the problem the whole time...

40 years of Using and playing with IH Cub Cadets!

Proud owner of the following:
Cub Farmall, Super A Farmall, Original, (2)70's, 72, 100, 102, 123, 105, 125, 127, 108, 128, 1450, (3)782's, Yellow 982, 1782, "Sam's" 2182, M Farmall and a #7 trailer
Old 12-16-2016, 10:05 AM

OK. J-Mech's post about S/G being rebuilt in a shop sparked my old memory.As I now remember, I had 2 cub 149 tracrors. Sent both S/G to shop in Logan, Wv. that rebuilds them. Received them back and one was rebuilt and the other was said to be working ok. I do not know which one was rebuilt. This was about 2 1/2 years ago. The one on the other 149 is working fine. If I remember correctly, I tried to put the S/G that is now on my working tractor on the tractor that I an refurbishing but the pulleys would not line up. I think I will try to use it again and move the pulley on the tractor if needed. This may be a few days from now as I am pretty sore from putting the snow blower on the working tractor. I will never take it off again. Will buy me another 149 first. But that is another story. Thanks for all the help and have a great day.
Bob
Old 12-16-2016, 10:31 AM

Was this running at one time and these symptoms just started or has this existed ever since you owned it? FYI, I happen to have my S/G apart for rebuilt so I took a picture of the pulley and diameter. This is on a 100, not sure if they are all the same. I suspect so but not verified.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3767.jpg (35.1 KB, 87 views)
Old 12-16-2016, 11:40 AM
Banned

A 100 uses a different diameter pulley than others. Don't know why.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:11 PM
Grand Member

I can't remember which, but the 10 hp engines in the 100's either didn't have an ACR OR the early ones didn't have an ACR.

I believe they (the ones without the ACR) used a smaller pulley so the S/G would have enough torque to get the engine past the compression stroke.