Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

P&K Cub Cadet Machtech Direct

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Everyone, we have 2 new Sponsors!
Machtech Direct and P&K Cub Cadet (See Links above)

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 07-23-2019, 09:38 PM

Default 3000 Series Steering Lag

I'm stumped.

My '99 3186 was always well maintained, remains in exceptional condition and until recently, rarely a problem. Late last season the power steering developed symptoms of failure all the while, all other hydraulic functions working perfectly.

First, the symptoms.

i. at start up the steering wheel turns freely with some uneven resistance and has NO effect on the steering power cylinder.
ii. after moving forward or reverse or raising the deck up and down, the steering may return with full power assist. Albeit, not consistent but enough to operate the tractor safely.
iii. once hot, hydraulic pressure returns to the steering cylinder and steering will work - almost properly excepting;
iv. when cutting, the steering track is not stay steady. It wanders most often to the left and a firm jerk to the right is the only way to get it back on line. Even then, constant back and forth on the wheel is necessary to keep the wheels straight.

I took the following actions in keeping with the above symptoms:

CHANGED HYDRAULIC FLUID AND FILTER PER OEM SPECS

i. Replaced the tilt wheel bushing and its connector to the steering valve assembly. This did provide some needed rigidity to the steering column. Note: this bushing wears down from constant use of the tilt wheel in its lowest position. Recommend upright use more often than not.

ii. Replaced a worn steering arm, its axle and stem. There was some visible wear and tear between the arm and stem. Replaced all hardware and all ball joints. After alignment, these repairs did improve slack in system but not the wandering.

iii. I then replaced the following:

a. hydraulic steering valve assembly (from a donor)
b. installed a rebuilt steering cylinder
c. replaced mounting hardware to limit play
c. cleaned inspected the supply line and replaced all o-ring

There is no visual damage, kinks or leaks to the hydraulic pump and the steering supply line. Again, there is no malfunction of the transmission drive or lift cylinder. All functions go, except for unpredictable power steering!

After all this, I still have only intermittent power steering and even when working, the tractor will fade to the left as if the cylinder is pushing it out of line and not an alignment issue.

Any clues?

JB Moore
Reynolds County, MO

ii.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:02 AM

Hello – Well, you have replaced everything else, it almost has to be the Auxiliary Charge Pump. The major demand on that pump is the power steering and if the pressure is low or inconsistent, I suspect that may have an impact on the steering. These pumps do fail from time to time in the 3000’s; a charge pump kit can be had on line for $225-$250 on line. Let me know what you think, Paul.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1961 View Post
I'm stumped.

My '99 3186 was always well maintained, remains in exceptional condition and until recently, rarely a problem. Late last season the power steering developed symptoms of failure all the while, all other hydraulic functions working perfectly.

First, the symptoms.

i. at start up the steering wheel turns freely with some uneven resistance and has NO effect on the steering power cylinder.
ii. after moving forward or reverse or raising the deck up and down, the steering may return with full power assist. Albeit, not consistent but enough to operate the tractor safely.
iii. once hot, hydraulic pressure returns to the steering cylinder and steering will work - almost properly excepting;
iv. when cutting, the steering track is not stay steady. It wanders most often to the left and a firm jerk to the right is the only way to get it back on line. Even then, constant back and forth on the wheel is necessary to keep the wheels straight.

i. Replaced the tilt wheel bushing and its connector to the steering valve assembly. This did provide some needed rigidity to the steering column. Note: this bushing wears down from constant use of the tilt wheel in its lowest position. Recommend upright use more often than not.

ii. Replaced a worn steering arm, its axle and stem. There was some visible wear and tear between the arm and stem. Replaced all hardware and all ball joints. After alignment, these repairs did improve slack in system but not the wandering.

There is no visual damage, kinks or leaks to the hydraulic pump and the steering supply line. Again, there is no malfunction of the transmission drive or lift cylinder. All functions go, except for unpredictable power steering!

After all this, I still have only intermittent power steering and even when working, the tractor will fade to the left as if the cylinder is pushing it out of line and not an alignment issue.

Any clues?

JB Moore
Reynolds County, MO

ii.
I didn't see where you mentioned tightening the bolt to reduce the slop in the front axle channel. Jack the front of the tractor up and tightened the bolt until the axle is just able to teeter totter on the axle carrier. I have found this to reduce the wondering problem you mentioned.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I'm stumped.

First, the symptoms.

Any clues?

JB Moore
Reynolds County, MO

ii.
Two things jump out to me, first when it warms up it seems to function better, and second you used a valve from a donor and a "rebuilt" cylinder. How do you know the donor valve is good? These cylinders are welded and in order to rebuild one they need to have the weld cut, new o-rings installed and then rewelded without burning up the new o-rings or warping the tube.

My 1864 had similar problems, I took a chance on a cheap fix last year and poured a bottle of Bars Leak rear main seal repair stuff in the oil, it helped a bunch. This spring I changed the oil in the trans to Shell Rotella 30W and added 2 bottles of the Bars leak so far I very happy with the results. Use at your own risk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 42146075_130266841262797_7689708604944809984_n.jpg (25.8 KB, 106 views)
BX2670 with FEL
Old 07-25-2019, 03:56 PM

Default Thanks!!

All replies very helpful!

i. I never thought about the axle swivel! Heck, I just discovered its grease zerk! Addressing that will certainly add more rigidity. Thanks.

ii. The replacement parts were both operational prior to removing them from a donor. Neither made any difference. Although, now that I have a steering valve core, I think I will rebuild it. Pricey item otherwise. I don't think either steering cylinder is bad. It was simply where I started.

iii. Charge pump eh? I was holding out hope that was not the case. I dismissed it as the culprit making the assumption that if the transmission and lift cylinder operated properly, something was wrong between the pump and steering cylinder. Shopping in my near future.

The steering slop admittedly, poor trouble shooting early on.

Thanks for the responses. Love that machine.

JB
Old 07-25-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
All replies very helpful!

i. I never thought about the axle swivel! Heck, I just discovered its grease zerk! Addressing that will certainly add more rigidity. Thanks.

ii. The replacement parts were both operational prior to removing them from a donor. Neither made any difference. Although, now that I have a steering valve core, I think I will rebuild it. Pricey item otherwise. I don't think either steering cylinder is bad. It was simply where I started.

iii. Charge pump eh? I was holding out hope that was not the case. I dismissed it as the culprit making the assumption that if the transmission and lift cylinder operated properly, something was wrong between the pump and steering cylinder. Shopping in my near future.

The steering slop admittedly, poor trouble shooting early on.

Thanks for the responses. Love that machine.

JB
The grease zerk is for the axle carrier but more importantly the feed thru for your deck drive shaft and needs to be greased periodically. I personally don't think your problem is the charge pump.