Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

P&K Cub Cadet Machtech Direct

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Everyone, we have 2 new Sponsors!
Machtech Direct and P&K Cub Cadet (See Links above)

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Implements and Attachments

Notices

Old 10-29-2009, 05:56 PM
Grand Member

Question 10" plow or 12" plow???

I need some input, have talked with some people and they are thinking I shoudl be looking for a 12" bottomed plow due to the size tires I will have on my 982. Any thoughts? Anyone run 12" bottoms?? How do you make out with what your furrow looks like? Does your back tire run over the nicely flopped ground?
Old 10-29-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Heritage View Post
I need some input, have talked with some people and they are thinking I shoudl be looking for a 12" bottomed plow due to the size tires I will have on my 982. Any thoughts? Anyone run 12" bottoms?? How do you make out with what your furrow looks like? Does your back tire run over the nicely flopped ground?
Doesn't Cub61 run a 10" plow with his big meats on the rear?
Old 10-29-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPalmer
Doesn't Cub61 run a 10" plow with his big meats on the rear?

Hey how's it going guys!!!

You're correct RPalmer. I do run a 10 inch bottom plow using 12 inch wide tires on the back. It seems to work out pretty well with the setup that I have. The rear tires run nice and flat inside the furrow. I haven't had any problems running this type of setup. So I really don't see a problem using 10 inch plow with wide tires on the back. Not unless you're planning to run 15 inch wide tires on the rear, now you've got a problem.LOL By the way Mountain Heritage, I've been thinking of trying a 12 inch bottom plow just to see how it will perform with the 12 inch wide tires. But I have to find one first.lol Hope this helps Mountain Heritage???? Take care good buddy!!!

MATT
Old 10-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Grand Member

I've tried 10.50 wide Super Lugs on my 149 with a 10 inch Brinly plow. The 10.50 did compress some of the soil that was plowed the round before. I'm looking for this

when I plow. Notice the turned soil is uniformed and leveled. You won't get that with a tire wider than the plow. I was plowing 5 to 6 inches deep in the pictures.

Another problem I have had with tires wider than the plow is pin(s) breaking in the driveshaft. The 10.50 wide tire did not set in the bottom of the furrow. When the plow hit a hard spot the tire that was floating on the plowed soil would dig until it hit some hard. Sometimes there was enough of a shock on the tractor's driveline the weakest link (pin in driveshaft) would break. I have not had a driveline problem since I went to a 8.50 tire pulling a 10 inch plow. That was 3 years ago. The majority of the ground that I plow is dense heavy clay type soil. A big tractor that is rated to pull a 5 bottom plow will be lucky to pull a 4 bottom plow.

Another thing I have notice is the ride is much better.

I do own a 12 inch plow. I still will use my 8.50 tires with a dual on the land side.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:19 PM
Grand Member

See this is what I am looking for - true experience input! I am strange when it comes to these things - I shoot for perfection when doing things like this. My uncle always taught me growing up when working on the farm, do it right the first time and there is less problems. We would always spend the time to set a rake, plow, harvestor knives, no matter what - do it right, or let someone else do it! So, needless to say I think I would be the one that would frig and fart with setting up a plow and running it at the right setting to lay the ground over flat and true. I would definately not want to twist something off if I ever did get into that situation - probably very slim chance around here with the sandy loam soil, but if I went to my parents that would be another story (good old blue clay)!!

I am thinking I will search out a 12" plow for now, if I don't have any luck come next year I will see about settling for a 10" plow.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Grand Member

Not sure which rear hitch you have on your 982. I've been helping a farmer take off crops the last 2 weeks. Still have 185 acres of beans and 250 acres of corn to take off.
12 inch 3 point plows are easier to find than a 12 inch sleeve hitch plow. Cub Cadet did not make a sleeve hitch style 3 point for the 982. Cub Cadet did make a big tractor style 3 point hitch for a 982 that I am aware of. I prefer the factory set up....Cub Cadet work out the bugs.

Here is a interresting side note.
The 3 point plow and sleeve hitch plow used the same mounting point when it comes to connecting the plow to the frame. One of my 12 inch sleeve hitch plows started it's life as an 8 inch wide plow. The 12 inch plow part came from a 12 inch 3 point plow with a bent frame.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Grand Member

I posted a picture of my tractor in my 982 post tonight, you can see the sleeve hitch was started on the tractor. The guy I bought it from didn't have time to finish the hitch - I bought it before he had the chance. So now I have to decide if I am going to finish it the way he has it started (which seems to be the right way and quite sturdy) or do I bite the bullet and spend the money on a true 3pth? Not sure that I want to shell out that kinda money right now?? I guess I have the winter to mull it over and do more research on it. The biggest reason I brought it up was a couple people had mentioned a 12" bottom would be easier and cleaner. I found a 12" plow (Ohio Fabricators or something like that) has a steel gauge wheel on the back and a coulter....nice shape....guy wants aroudn $200 or $250 for it...not sure, might be a little pricey...but it certaily looks well built in the picture? But it is a 3pth set up.

??????