Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

P&K Cub Cadet Machtech Direct

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Everyone, we have 2 new Sponsors!
Machtech Direct and P&K Cub Cadet (See Links above)

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 06-17-2014, 06:40 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfiero View Post
I have a fair amount of experience with 3k series tractors. If the PTO will engage and run for any amount of time then stop(but the engine keeps running, and everything else works), then the problem will almost ALWAYS be one of the many safety switches built into the system. The likely culprit is most likely the seat switch. all you need to do is disconnect it- don't jumper it, and mow that way for awhile to see if it cures the problem. These are very sensitive switches, and with age, tend to get to the point where they will quit working properly for no good reason. If you look at the wiring diagram it becomes very apparent how many safety devices MTD was forced to put on these tractors.
P.S. While the PTO switch looks complicated, it is really a fairly simple device that is well built and rarely is the problem.
Unpluged the seat safety switch and no change. Looks like I need to pull the deck to find all the safety switches.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:51 PM

Next up will be the safety located approximately "next" to the steering motor, on the drive pedal side of the tractor. Look to see if this switch might have been pushed "forward" out of position. When you disconnect the wiring connector from the switch, you need to put a jumper into the connector. If this doesn't work, we'll get serious!
Old 06-18-2014, 04:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Elfiero, are you sure you don't jumper the seat switch plug? I'm thinking I had a jumper in mine.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:22 AM

Smile

Quote:
Next up will be the safety located approximately "next" to the steering motor, on the drive pedal side of the tractor. Look to see if this switch might have been pushed "forward" out of position. When you disconnect the wiring connector from the switch, you need to put a jumper into the connector. If this doesn't work, we'll get serious!
1st of all, Thank you for your help, I really appreicate it. I will try that and let you know what happens. Now I have no power to the fuel solenoid. I hooked up a temporary feed to the fuel soleniod to get the tractor to run.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
1st of all, Thank you for your help, I really appreicate it. I will try that and let you know what happens. Now I have no power to the fuel solenoid. I hooked up a temporary feed to the fuel soleniod to get the tractor to run.
If that's the case, I would strongly suggest you look at the ignition switch itself.
All modern MTD products have a weak ignition switch- as witnessed by the amount of them for sale everywhere, including ebay. For about 25 bucks you can get a new switch- considering everything(including PTO) runs thru it, it's a good investment.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:48 AM

Smile

Quote:
If that's the case, I would strongly suggest you look at the ignition switch itself.
All modern MTD products have a weak ignition switch- as witnessed by the amount of them for sale everywhere, including ebay. For about 25 bucks you can get a new switch- considering everything(including PTO) runs thru it, it's a good investment.
New ignition switch installed, as the old one was hanging up between run and start. Even with the new ignition switch installed, I still have no power to the fuel solenoid. Well it is time to get serious. Located the reverse switch and the button is out. There is no tab on the rod to push the button in. Owner stated that he could always mow in reverse.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Jump the seat switch. The fuel solenoid is powered by the seat switch or brake switch, they are wired in parallel in the run mode. It is also powered in parallel with the starter solenoid in the start mode, that is why the diodes are in there. Those are the only 2 circuits for the fuel solenoid.

If you get off the tractor with the deck running it kills power to the evac. Let us know how it goes.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:18 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
Jump the seat switch. The fuel solenoid is powered by the seat switch or brake switch, they are wired in parallel in the run mode. It is also powered in parallel with the starter solenoid in the start mode, that is why the diodes are in there. Those are the only 2 circuits for the fuel solenoid.

If you get off the tractor with the deck running it kills power to the evac. Let us know how it goes.
I have the seat jumped. Still no power to the fuel solenoid. I noticed on the schematic you sent me, there are two red wires to the fuel solenoind. On this tractor there is only one red wire coming from the engine connector. I have a temporay jumper wire coming off the battery with a toggle switch to power the fuel solenoid, thus allowing me to run the tractor.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:56 AM
Administrator

OK, I'm getting confused with this thread. It started with a PTO not working and now it's evolved to a not running issue having something to do with the fuel shut down solenoid? How about taking some time to detail the history of the problems and what you have done.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 06-22-2014, 07:28 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
OK, I'm getting confused with this thread. It started with a PTO not working and now it's evolved to a not running issue having something to do with the fuel shut down solenoid? How about taking some time to detail the history of the problems and what you have done.
It originality came in to my shop with a no run problem. Due to the fact that the fuel solenoid was only getting power in the start position and no power in the run position. Fixed that problem. Also the ignition switch was hanging up between run and start. Installed new switch. After getting the tractor back to running. Then the PTO decided not to work. After checking all the safety switches could not find the problem. Nows heres the kicker, the whole problem with the PTO, ground wire came off the ignition switch. Which I feel embrassed for not checking the switch first. It is out of the shop and the owner is happy. Thank you everyone for all your help and advice, it is surely appreciated.