Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

P&K Cub Cadet Machtech Direct

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Everyone, we have 2 new Sponsors!
Machtech Direct and P&K Cub Cadet (See Links above)

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Resources > Restoration Tips

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 06:14 AM
Grand Member

Default Confusion as to the paint I want to buy?

Having read the previous post's to paint i am a bit confused?

Maybe someone can direct me or clear things up for me?

Knowing that the original paint on my #109 is very durable & tougher than a dried snot on a lamp pole 20deg., below zero. Cub Cadet paint in a spray can is just that PAINT, & just a cosmetic fix. or does it have durability to scuff's & scrapes? Probably not?

By just spraying my mowing deck with a product called 'Krud Cutter' & hosing it down produced a end result that i'm satisfied with at present. Deck re-painting will be a Winter project.

I'm going to do the same with the body, hood, etc., & am determined to spray paint the body over the existing yellow & Cadet white. Having many scuffs & scratch's i'll sand them smooth & then spray paint the whole body with a top load spray gun.

A friend who is experienced with shooting paint is going to direct me & said that I should just spray right over the existing colors.

May I add that my # 109 is going to be used for cutting & snow removal but I want it to be 'PURDY' & spiffed up a bit. I am not going to get fanatical in sand blasting or going to extreme's as one would call a complete restoration.
Soooooooooooooooo?

Should I buy a quart of each from my dealer & just add the recommended hardner? Or should I go with the epoxy paint that others have mentioned which will be harded to apply?

Sorry if this is a long drawn out question, but I want to explain my situation & intent.

Nik
Old 05-27-2010, 08:52 AM

There is no spray can paint that will hold up to scratches, scuffs, and the sun. That deck looks FANTASTIC the way it is and does not need painting. That's one of the nicest original decks I have ever seen. If the tractor looks like that too, I would not paint it. It's only original once, and nice-looking original tractors are getting very hard to find because people think they need repainting, and then do a horrible job.

If you've got your heart set on painting it, I'd just use the quarts from the dealer with some hardener for a worker...no sense in using ridiculously expensive paint for something that's just gonna get scratched again.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:44 AM
Grand Member

Thanks for the reply.

After thinking about it you have just talked me out of alot work. Even my wife commented that the deck looked good. Asked me, when are you gonna blast the rest (powerwash)?

Nik,
Old 05-28-2010, 08:43 AM

Spend a couple hours with some rubbing compound and wax, and that deck and tractor will shine better than new. I do this to every tractor I get, and it makes a huge difference. Dirt also blows off easier when everything is waxed.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Grand Member

I must say....I like the wooden front roller!
Old 07-21-2010, 02:47 PM

Thumbs up Sure it looks good but...

Anytime a wife pays a compliment to a Cub Cadet or Cub Cadet implement I say you owe her. Since your saving time and money on not painting you should take that wonderful lady out for a nice dinner. And I'm not talking about a fast food joint. Count your blessings.