Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

P&K Cub Cadet Machtech Direct

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Everyone, we have 2 new Sponsors!
Machtech Direct and P&K Cub Cadet (See Links above)

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 10-05-2020, 07:14 PM

Default New NF front wheels source?

Hey all,

My CC 100's narrow fronts are rusted, is there anything new available that works? Would be way easier than restoring these

I have a set of new 4.80-8 ribbed tires coming.

Model 70 Sep 2020 needs total resto and an engine, or for parts
Model 70/100 Mar 2021 buried in rust, frozen engine, got free for parts.

two spare hydro rears
"in for a penny, in for a pound!"
Old 10-05-2020, 08:47 PM
Inactive Member

I assume you are want the front rims..??

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

[SIZE="4"][B][COLOR="Red"]Buy:[/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"] Made in the USA[/COLOR][/B] [/SIZE]:American Flag 1:
Old 10-05-2020, 09:10 PM

I think so, because I said fronts

two spare hydro rears
Old 10-05-2020, 09:10 PM
Grand Member

I'm with Roland. Clean up what you have and mount the new tri-ribs on them. The guy at Miller Tire that I find at a lot of shows has several pair of tires mounted on new rims or sometimes reconditioned rims that look new, but you will pay for them about $120-$130/pair. Like Roland almost said, wire brush them up or blast them and repaint. You'll be surprised at the difference that makes and the satisfaction that you did it yourself for your own tractor! I couldn't have intended to say it better if I tried.

Cub Cadet 123
Old 10-05-2020, 09:24 PM

ok thanks

I didnt see where Roland said to do that but yeah i was just putting the feeler out in case there was some affordable option for new.

I did order 3-rib tires and tubes from amazon for $70, and already have some new 6-12 ags for the back I havent mounted yet because those wheels are rusty too inside and out and that needs to be remedied.

This tractor is going to be my yard mule to move trailers around and maybe will move snow with it, and possibly get a tiller for a garden.

Not enough grass here to bother with a mower tho.

two spare hydro rears
Old 10-05-2020, 09:41 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubbyRI View Post
ok thanks

I didnt see where Roland said to do that but yeah i was just putting the feeler out in case there was some affordable option for new.

I did order 3-rib tires and tubes from amazon for $70, and already have some new 6-12 ags for the back I havent mounted yet because those wheels are rusty too inside and out and that needs to be remedied.

This tractor is going to be my yard mule to move trailers around and maybe will move snow with it, and possibly get a tiller for a garden.

Not enough grass here to bother with a mower tho.
If the rust bothers you, after you clean them up with a wire wheel or blast them or whatever you do to clean them up, you can go to the automotive section and buy paint that chemically inhibits rust for $10/can (undercoating spray for autos/trucks and NOT the rubberized sound barrier stuff) then spray it with a primer + filler, lightly sand and then paint them up with your IH white and it will save you a lot of money in the long run.

Roland has been working with cubs for a very long time and knows his business quite well. Sometimes you have to read his posts carefully and maybe even re-read them a couple of times to fully grasp what he is saying. I've been on here for several years so I am used to it, picking up on his message most of the time. He's upfront about something if he does not know about it or hasn't seen it, but that is a rarity. And even then, he is resourceful enough to find the information you need most of the time. Fellas like him are hard to come by, so when they speak you would be wise to listen and learn!

Good luck on your project. They're going to turn out great!

Cub Cadet 123
Old 10-05-2020, 10:04 PM

Thats really good that folks who know and are also willing to share that.

Not to change the topic, but paint is also my sticking point. So much so it delayed this from moving forward for a year after having the chassis and center tower blasted. Someone have me some naval epoxy primer and I brushed that onto the tower and it is rubbery and uneven and has to come back off at least on the outside.

Tomorrow I am talking to an automotive paint expert to get some options for paint that is durable and hard but not TOO expensive. Also dreading the filling of the pits but he may suggest some kind of filler primer. Bought a HF paint gun today to apply paint.

Not sure if I want to take the diff apart or just seal it and strip it and paint it.

I got a new clutch, steering box kit, and lots of other stuff. Engine seemed good the one time I ran it.

Also picked up a creeper which is very cool. IIRC, I decided to make a new driveshaft. Cant remember exactly why.

Still lacking an original style throttle cable. Not sure what else.

Yeah should be very satisfying if i can get it cleaned up and looking and running good!

two spare hydro rears
Old 12-01-2020, 10:08 PM

Just wanted to put an update, I had all four wheels blasted and I painted them with single stage urethane with hardener (got a few runs but looks fairly good). However, the fronts were so rusted they ended up with a couple pin holes through the steel. They're all painted and I'm sure they will be ok but thats how far gone they were.

two spare hydro rears