Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

P&K Cub Cadet Machtech Direct

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Everyone, we have 2 new Sponsors!
Machtech Direct and P&K Cub Cadet (See Links above)

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 07-04-2023, 08:34 PM

I did think about LEDs as a possibility, but in reality I'm probably not going to ever mow at night so I won't bother for now.

A little update on it though. So I've used it to mow for a couple hours and it runs (mostly, see below) great. It's smoother and quieter than the Kohler and oddly, the tractor seems to ride nicer. I can't explain that other than maybe it is a lighter engine and sits back further so the weight is more over the rear tires so it's less bouncy up front.

But it hasn't been 100% smooth sailing. I checked the oil and it wasn't at the "full" line. I wasn't worried about it burning oil but figured that some went into the oil cooler and filter after the first run and I did loose a little when I installed the oil pressure gauge. So I topped it off and did another mow. Half-way through it starts billowing smoke, but only when I'm on a grade. After the initial shock I knew right away I had over filled it. I went to check it and it was then I realized the rubber "cork" that is on the dipstick was moving around so I wasn't getting an accurate reading. Second ding on the Predator quality. Fortunately the stick is painted black where the cork should be positioned. I left a little oil out and that problem was solved.

However, as I was getting to the end of the mow, it stalled. After some extended cranking it restarted and I mowed some more, then other stall. I was able to finish but I think it's the fuel pump not supplying enough when under load. I read here or somewhere about their fuel pumps not being so great. So I guess I'm going to be replacing that. Another ding on the Predator.

So all in all, I'm not super satisfied with the quality. 3 problems -- faulty starter, crappy dipstick, and (most likely) a crappy fuel pump. You get what you pay for I suppose. However I put a Duromax 713 on a buggy and that didn't have any problems and as of now they are the same price as the Predator ($999) so I would go with one of those if I would have to do another. The downside to the Duromax though is no muffler, so I'd be making one from scratch or adapting something to fit.
Old 09-04-2024, 07:08 AM

Just figured I'd post a little update on this.

Been using this swapped tractor for mowing regularly and it's been running fine. You really have to make sure the choke is fully closed when starting and it takes a few cranks. I assume that is because of how lean these carbs are tuned.

I figured out the starter problem -- it was my goof, I didn't have the Predator's starter solenoid hooked up so it wasn't kicking the gear in (headsmack).

The battery charging is borderline. It has to be run WOT when mowing or the battery will gradually discharge and after a couple hours you have to throw a charger on it or keep it on a trickle charger.

The other thing I've noticed, alarmingly, is that under a certain set of circumstances the oil pressure gauge will drop to 0 for a second or two. The circumstances are: fully hot engine (thin oil), WOT or near to it, a rapid travel direction change from reverse to forward, while on an incline.

The first time this happened it scared the dickens out of me, seeing the oil pressure gauge at 0 on a brand new engine is frightening! I instantly turned the key off but before the engine could even wind down the pressure was already coming back up.

Over time, this happened again and eventually I noticed the precise circumstances of when it occurs but I am very puzzled by it. Puzzled by why it happens but also why it doesn't seem to really bother the engine. Naturally I try to avoid the circumstances, but it does happen occasionally and with no seemingly ill effects. My assumption is that the oil pickup becomes uncovered from the oil sloshing towards the flywheel side of the engine.

I hesitate to say it's not a big deal, because it seems like it should be, but yet I see people putting these engines on all kinds of things, including swamp boats, buggies, etc. and in all my research I didn't find any recurring evidence of them grenading because of oil starvation. Since I know why it occurs, I can mostly avoid it and when it does occur, I just pause for a second, sigh, and continue mowing...