Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

P&K Cub Cadet Machtech Direct

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Everyone, we have 2 new Sponsors!
Machtech Direct and P&K Cub Cadet (See Links above)

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 11-29-2012, 10:22 PM
Grand Member

Wow! Nice dear! and wolf too! Makes me feel right at home here Thanks guys for the pictures and stories.
That is a really nice 8 point with the 20 inch spread.
EricR very nice buck!

I like to ramble so heres a story that's true:
I have shot a few running and this was one of those times. I went on auto pilot when 2 bucks busted out into the open with bunch of does 100 yards to my right. (Hadn't seen that many deer in a herd for 20 years!) The lead buck looked to be smaller and I passed on him. My buck followed three deer back from the first buck. Had to let them clear a big pine tree in my line of site, by this time they were all carrying the mail. I am not a great running shot but have killed my share, problem is I don't lead then enough or stop my swing, and have been known to shoot them in the steaks.
Not knowing where the first shot hit I anchored him with another as he was still running across the field about 100-120 yards out from my tree stand.
Well yea you guessed it. When I got to the deer I found a large bullet hole in the left hip. Never thought about exit wound. So I thought I had missed with the second shot.
When we did the skinning, I found two entry holes 1-1/2 inches apart in the left hip (hide), and no exit wounds.
Skinning around the deer Nic found a mushroomed '06 bullet under the hide in the ribs on the right side. I said "That's pretty neat, you don't find them '06 bullets often". I skinned down another 1-1/2 inches and there was the other mushroomed bullet under the hide. Glad Nic was there to see that, or you folks probably wouldn't have believed me. Good news is I didn't ruin any rib meat Guess I was locked on like a heat seeking missile He should have a story for his grand kids!
Here is a picture, had about a 14 inch inside spread.

Regards,
Chris

Cubs: 147R and the "train", 127 elec lift, 127, 125, 106, 102, 100, 86, 73, Brinly plow, Snow thrower, 2 Rototillers, several mower decks and several snow plows, #1 cart, Grandkids barrel cart.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Grand Member

Nice buck, Chris! Congrats!

My Grandpa's Cart
Craftsman Lawn Sweeper
Craftsman Plug Aerator
Old 11-30-2012, 02:02 AM
Grand Member

Ah, Chris, you lost the best part of the deer
Nice job. What are you using for shell? There is a big difference in all factory loads.
But you got em' but may be something to look into in the future.

Original's Face Lift thread.http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34439
(O) Start to Finish video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs
Wheel Around videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUL-m6Bramk
They can't all be turn key!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:27 AM
Grand Member

Congrats Eric and Chris!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Grand Member

Todd,
Like a lot of things I do. I don't get hung up on all the bullet specifics. Just plain old off the shelf shells. I have never had a deer get away that I hit good.
Thanks guys!
Regards,
Chris

Cubs: 147R and the "train", 127 elec lift, 127, 125, 106, 102, 100, 86, 73, Brinly plow, Snow thrower, 2 Rototillers, several mower decks and several snow plows, #1 cart, Grandkids barrel cart.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:18 AM
Grand Member

Congrats to all. Love reading this thread whilst drinking my morning coffee. Nothing better.

With that said, anyone have an interesting story on your hunt?

Here's mine;

While sitting under a cedar I noticed a movement in the corner of my eye. Couldn't quite make it out, thought it would be a yote? After a couple minutes out came a bobcat at the edge of the field, it came into view of the open field & stopped to check it out. Stood there for at least 2 minutes before venturing any further. Feeling secure it prowled the edge with intense sniffing as it slowly moved on. It was mousing? It was so neat to watch it hunting. As it moved slowly north the distance became so much closer to where I was sitting. I wa a thrill for me to freeze & only move my eyes watching it knowing I could have taken the shot & voted against it. If it had been a coyote, ' boom' done! Locals give notice to all , to shoot the vermin all year long because of the havoc they've been causing the last 5/7 years.

All the years I've been hunting I've caught a quick glimpse of bobcats but never ever watched them as long as I did a few weeks ago. To me a thrill. Quite a magnificent creature.

NIK
Old 12-01-2012, 06:11 AM
Grand Member

Cool story Nik!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Grand Member

NIK,
Fired this up, have the coffee, great story on the bobcat! We don't have them in our area, or never hear of any sightings. That is a very neat story and a memory that you will never forget.
Folks that aren't in the woods miss out on some of natures neat stuff.
I might get out this afternoon to put on a drive for the hunters in the family.

Cheryl told me not to bring home another deer We just picked up a half of beef last night. I do have a doe tag.

Hope to get out some over Christmas with the smoke pole.

Currently the house is filled with the smell of venison jerky in the dehydrator and venison Kielbasi in the oven. Will try to post some pictures of them. Currently relaxing in the easy chair with a wood fire going in the stove
Hope things are good out there! Cant get much better here!
Regards,
Chris

Old 12-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Grand Member

Enjoyed your story, Nik. We have Bobcats here also. I've never seen one, they are so elusive!

My Grandpa's Cart
Craftsman Lawn Sweeper
Craftsman Plug Aerator
Old 12-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Grand Member

Hey Nik, look something like this?
In all the years of cameras on the land, this is the only picture we ever got of a bobcat. I've seen the tracks many times, but never a sighting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 174.jpg (19.5 KB, 62 views)

Original's Face Lift thread.http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34439
(O) Start to Finish video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs
Wheel Around videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUL-m6Bramk
They can't all be turn key!