Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

P&K Cub Cadet Machtech Direct

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Everyone, we have 2 new Sponsors!
Machtech Direct and P&K Cub Cadet (See Links above)

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 03-25-2023, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsruskw View Post
If you want to make a PITA job even messier, go ahead, give it a shot!!
Again, you must have thought I was going to drain and replace the hydro fluid. No need to at this point.
Old 03-25-2023, 01:13 PM
Grand Member

I've prefilled a few but not to the top, you gotta be quick and have the area around the old filter clean.
Old 03-25-2023, 01:27 PM

Thumbs up

Sorry for the confusion. Most times hydro filters only get replaced when the entire system is drained, cover pulled, case cleaned, then refilled. The pump will fill that filter in a manner of seconds, so it is an unnecessary waste of fluid spilling out of it. It won't hurt a thing.

582, 682, 782, 782D, 1282, 1050, 1210 x 2, 1711, and 1811
Old 03-25-2023, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1711Cub View Post
Sorry for the confusion. Most times hydro filters only get replaced when the entire system is drained, cover pulled, case cleaned, then refilled. The pump will fill that filter in a manner of seconds, so it is an unnecessary waste of fluid spilling out of it. It won't hurt a thing.
Interesting...so I've probably been (of late anyway) changing them more often than needed. Over the decades I've probably only changed it every 5-7 years or so - at the most.

OK...thanks to all. Maybe I'll just add to half-way on the filter, or else not at all. Might not even bother changing the filter this year. New one two years ago for sure. And the fluid in the trans is only 4 years old. I top it off occasionally since there's still a VERY slow leak somewhere. I had hoped the cork gasket replacement would have taken care of it - and it seemed to for the most part but not completely.
Old 03-25-2023, 02:01 PM

If you remove the old filter, doesn't the trans oil run out?

Being an old dog and resistant to new tricks, I still always fill a new filter to whatever level will allow me to install it with no or little mess. And filling with both release valves removed works well. If it's a complete drain and fill (on a 149 anyway) I just remove the top plate. I can inspect the interior and run a magnet around as part of the inspection. Even when filling that way, I remove the release valves so the case doesn't air lock. Almost thirty years of hydraulic repairs has put some fear into me.
Old 03-25-2023, 03:18 PM

The lube table in my Owner's Manual sez to change oil as needed. I assume that to mean if there's discoloration or moisture found in it. The filter is recommended to be changed every 100 hours.

I go by the hour meter on the Cub. Without an hour meter I figure if it averages over the year to about 8 hour weeks, say 4 2 hour days per week on average, that translates to 12 weeks to get 100 hours. Depending on climate and acreage such as my little 2 acres with an orchard in mild W Oregon, the time really racks up. Even now with some warm weather a little early, the lawn is already needing mowing. The filter gets changed about once a year and is cheap insurance.

It goes on empty, and as others have said, the charge pumps fills it pretty fast.
Old 03-25-2023, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg r View Post

I go by the hour meter on the Cub. Without an hour meter I figure if it averages over the year to about 8 hour weeks, say 4 2 hour days per week on average, that translates to 12 weeks to get 100 hours. Depending on climate and acreage such as my little 2 acres with an orchard in mild W Oregon, the time really racks up. Even now with some warm weather a little early, the lawn is already needing mowing. The filter gets changed about once a year and is cheap insurance.

It goes on empty, and as others have said, the charge pumps fills it pretty fast.
No hour meter on the 129! 8 hours a week would be a heck of a lot of mowing unless either a large property or doing others'. As I mentioned, my 129 is only used like twice a month on the average between April - Sept. Great point about it being cheap insurance. Not a big expense - money or time-wise to change it.

Ambush...once the old filter is removed, I don't recall very much fluid running out. I don't understand the mechanism enough however to know why that might be the case.
Old 03-25-2023, 06:12 PM

Sounds like everyone has some different views and thoughts on this subject as that is good.Thats why I come here to learn knew techniques and sometimes I find out I've been doing something I could improve on.For those who want fluid in their filter when installing, what if you had some tilt to the Cub?Any thoughts?I do my dry by the way
Old 03-25-2023, 11:07 PM

Quote:
8 hours a week would be a heck of a lot of mowing
True, but I didn't say just mowing. I'm talking tractor time; which can be anything. Hauling rocks, admenments, cuttings, moving tools, any and all including mowing or the occasional 1/4 mile to the mail box . I know the 129 doesn't have a meter, that's what a I meant by "averaging" without one.