Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

P&K Cub Cadet Machtech Direct

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Everyone, we have 2 new Sponsors!
Machtech Direct and P&K Cub Cadet (See Links above)

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 12-26-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwairforce View Post
I believe the manual calls for 10 weight oil when the temps dip below 32.
I don't need to use my older machines in the winter. I use the twin cyl newer types and run 10-30 full syn Mobil 1 in them.
You are correct about straight 10 under 32*...and I use Mobil 1 in all my newer stuff too
And again guys chime in that they have no trouble finding real gas....if you do not live in a high population density part of the country it is available...if you are in or near a large population area...it is simply not legal to sell it
Old 12-26-2019, 03:14 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK (LI) View Post
And again guys chime in that they have no trouble finding real gas....if you do not live in a high population density part of the country it is available...if you are in or near a large population area...it is simply not legal to sell it
You might care to read the article at this link. Granted, it is 4 years old but it kinda refutes what you are saying about legalities.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2015/0...u-might-think/
Old 12-26-2019, 03:50 PM

Take a look at this https://www.epa.gov/gasoline-standar...lated-gasoline
that is the EPA website....if you notice, Hemmings cites California as "no position" (just using this one because it demonstrated it the best) ...the EPA document (from which the laws are based) cites differently.....that is just one example......it's availability is predicated on more local government than the State level...for instance upstate NY has a lot of stations at which it is available...but in the NY metropolitan area (New York, Kings, Queens, Bronx, Richmond, Nassau, Westchester, Suffolk counties) local laws prohibit it...so....here in NY ...yes it is available...the closest station is over 100 miles from me
Old 12-26-2019, 05:49 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
by rwairforce

I believe the manual calls for 10 weight oil when the temps dip below 32.
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK (LI) View Post
You are correct about straight 10 under 32*...and I use Mobil 1 in all my newer stuff too

Straight 10 weight????

You need to spend a little time reading a Kohler service manual. Page 1.4 talks about what oil to use for what temp.

While you are reading your Kohler service manual read page 1.5. It deals what fuel you can run in your Kohler engine. The manual says it is ok to run gas with 10% or less ethanol.

I've ran some of what you call "real gas". My 149 didn't not have get up and go like it did on E10 gas plus I had to pay more. Talk to station manager and he says the bulk tank for the non ethanol gas doesn't get fill as often as the ethanol gas gets filled. Small engines need fresh gas.

I've been running E10 gas with no fuel related issue(s) for 15 plus years. Biggest problem I see is cause by poor fuel storage-handling habits.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:59 AM

Merk...take a look at post #20...that is a copy of the page from the original 129 manual...i could not make it any larger and still post it, so it is a little difficult to read ...but if you use a magnifying glass you will see ...it does call for 10 at temps below 32*...I think it sounds too thin also...but that is what the manual specifically calls for...in any event the pan heater is supposed to arrive today...and it has not been so cold...Also this engine is from 1973...manual says to use minimum of 91 (unleaded) octane, but since gas with ethanol was not really even available then it is not mentioned
Old 12-27-2019, 11:54 AM
Grand Member

My post says this:
Quote:
by Merk
You need to spend a little time reading a Kohler service manual.
I trust a Kohler service manual over the original IH manual any day. You should too.
My 149 Is my main show pusher. It doesn't need heating pad on trans. I run Kohler 10W-30 in the winter months.

Ethanol has been around for a long time. It was call bio gas back in the 80s.
The moonshiners called it shine or locally where I live it was called corn squeezins.

I've been working on Kohlers for 50 plus years. I learned a few things over the years.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:17 PM

I do see the discrepancy that you point out...but I think IH sold a lot of them with that recommendation...I would never use the straight 10 ...no matter how cold it gets..