Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

P&K Cub Cadet Machtech Direct

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Everyone, we have 2 new Sponsors!
Machtech Direct and P&K Cub Cadet (See Links above)

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 10-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Grand Member

Nice job, RPalmer!
Old 10-11-2009, 04:37 PM

TEET,

I didn't have a spare. I had to buy it. I don't have any spare parts for an OCC. It is true I got it for a good price. It runs, shifts and stops. But this Cub is going to be put back to like new. I think the only thing missing is the grill ornament. It's kinda hard to believe that in 2011 it will be 50 years old. Maybe I will have in done by then.:biggrin2.gif:

ACecil,

Thanks. It took some heat to get the pin's nut off.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Grand Member

Diz Jr.,
being old school, I love all the grease fittings. That is how they all should have stayed.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you 100% RPalmer. I usually have more than enough grease a little messy somtimes but at least i know its got plenty :biggrin2.gif:
Old 10-17-2009, 02:23 AM
Grand Member

A couple of weeks ago I bought some Cub Cadets a 123, a 124, a 125 and an unidentified CCC Cub and 9 mower decks, 2 front blades, some plastic covered cement wheel weights and some mule drives.

The 125 was the only one that was complete (there was also a deck on it for a total of ten decks) so about 20 minutes after getting this stuff home and unloaded, I got the 125 running, and mowed with it for a little bit.

The motor in this thing ran so well I couldn't believe it, but it didn't cut very well, so I thought I would take the deck off to investigate, the blades were worn badly and about as sharp as the steering wheel. So I took a set off of one of the other decks and put them on.

It also didn't steer quite right so I thought while the deck was off, I would pull the column and check it out. Well the column was broken so I put in a rebuilt one that I had setting on the shelf.

While the column was out I figured I would take the transmission control out because it felt like it was too tight and like it was binding when you would step on the pedal. I took it apart and filed then polished the speed control centering cam and painted it up with slip plate. While I was that far along I thought it would be a good time to pull the trans axle, and inspect the trunnion for wear, BUT I can not stand to screw around with a dirty, greasy hydro. So I pulled the engine, wire loom and transaxle then pressure washed everything to make it easier and cleaner to work on. I was really surprised to see that the engine was very clean, don't get me wrong, it had dust on the shroud and under the gas tank and stuff but there was absolutely NO grease or oil on it anywhere on this engine.

Well after I got it all clean, I started to re-assemble things, I ran the wire loom back through the engine compartment and set the motor, hooked up the wires and bolted the voltage regulator back in place, put the dash back on bolted the hydro lever assy. back in and installed the new column.

The next day, I started the trunnion repair, I took it apart and welded the notches up and filed them back to shape. The day after that I picked up the trunnion springs and ends and the shims. While I was welding, I welded the heat shield over the muffler because it was cracked around one of the bolt holes. I also welded the drive plate hub, it had notches worn in it where the pin rides, I also ordered a new pin and put it in the shaft.

I replaced one of the fenders because it was bent and torn in the bend at the top.

When washing it I noticed that the cross brace in the hood was cracked, it is cracked right past the bend (toward the middle of the hood) where it is spot welded to the side, I'm going to try and "clamp" a wet rag to the outside of the hood while I weld the brace and see if I can keep from burning the paint off of the outside. We'll see how that goes.

Got the trunnion back together and it felt pretty good, bolted the transaxle back under the tractor. The next day I put the mower deck back on fired it up and started cutting grass. I still can not believe how sweet this motor runs. Too bad the tractor isn't very pretty.

The grass here was really tall because I haven't mowed since... forever, so I thought I would run this thing through the wringer and I did. I cut all my grass with it yesterday and then my Brothers grass today. What a workout it had, but it performed great, I'm really impressed with it.

First chance I get, I guess I'll start on one of the others

I did take some pictures of the trunnion repair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oct11862.JPG (110.3 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg Oct11871.JPG (95.3 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg Oct11880.JPG (107.8 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg Oct11882.JPG (122.5 KB, 169 views)
Old 10-17-2009, 08:16 AM

Yosemite Sam
Great story. Elbow grease, time and parts and you already had to make a working Cub. I think that's what everyone hopes for when getting a Cub in need.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Grand Member

Yosemite Sam,
You have really been busy
Nice pictures of the repair.
Glad to hear its running great for you.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Grand Member

Awesome job, Yosemite Sam! Now your 125 is ready for many years of service.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Grand Member

My wife bought two mums and a pumpkin for her Fall display. I got the 100 out, along with the #2 cart and hauled them for her.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:09 PM
Grand Member

ACecil,
Great pictures

Mums look really good decorating the front along with the pumpkin.
We just went and picked our pumpkins out this afternoon too.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:54 PM

ACecil, I agree that the flowers and pumpkin look good on the step. But they looked pretty good too in the trailer with the 100.