Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

P&K Cub Cadet Machtech Direct

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Everyone, we have 2 new Sponsors!
Machtech Direct and P&K Cub Cadet (See Links above)

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 09:58 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcubcadet View Post
Glad you had fun mowing, Allen!

I got the smoker out today and did some mowing around our hay fields, in some pretty tall grass.
Thanks Conner, but I'd rather been riding the super.

My Grandpa's Cart
Craftsman Lawn Sweeper
Craftsman Plug Aerator
Old 09-15-2012, 09:34 PM

Default Busy day

I picked up a very rough 1811 and it was delivered today. First thing I had to do was get a new battery. Cleaned up the battery carrier and the cables and installed the new battery. I knew there was a problem with the fuel. Previous owner said he thought it was the fuel pump. Pump tests at 1 1/2 lbs which should be okay. Took the carb off the engine and opened it up. It's had water in the bowl for quite some time. Removed all the rust from the bowl, took the float off and cleaned everything with carb cleaner. Put the carb back on and installed new fuel line to the fuel pump and from the fuel pump to the tank. Oh yeah, also drained and flushed out the fuel tank. Crossed my fingers and tried the starter. It started right up. Got in the seat and tried the hydro lever. Nothing. Checked around and found the brake pivot was rusted up and so the brake would not release. Also found the brakes were rusted to the point where they wouldn't move. So I disconnected the springs for the time being. Lubricated and freed up the brake pivots on both sides and worked the pedal until it moved freely. Got in the seat again and tried the hydro. This time it worked like it was supposed to both fwd and reverse. Tried the PTO and the mower deck works but the belt needs to be replaced. Looks like its not the correct one anyway. Added that to the to do list with the brakes. Found that when I tried to move the deck up and down it wouldn't move and there was a nasty noise from the area of the cylinder. Checked various photos on the net and found that the lift mechanism is all messed up. Looks like Bubba put it on upside down and it's jammed. Will have to get some help from you fellas on how to fix this and anyone's guess as to why it's in this condition. I have photos but I'll have to put them on photobucket to get them inserted I guess. Cleaned up a lot of built up crud on the rear end. Gunked things and got them looking better and it will be easier to work on now. Blades need to be sharpened so I added that to the to do list. Did a test run in some high grass. Tractor doesn't seem to be running right at full throttle. Adjusted around on the carb and smoothed out but still doesn't have the power it should and after running for 5 minutes or so it shut down. Started right back up but isn't running right. Pulled the plug and did a compression test. 100 on both cylinders. What do you think? My guess is that it's okay since my 1872 is the same and runs great. Didn't have any new plugs handy so I put in a pair that I took off the 1872 last year. Still isn't running right but except for the implement lift problem I think the fixes will be pretty easy. I probably did a few other little jobs on the 1811 today but this message is already too long.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:03 PM
Grand Member

Congrats on your 1811!

My Grandpa's Cart
Craftsman Lawn Sweeper
Craftsman Plug Aerator
Old 09-15-2012, 10:17 PM

It was mowing day and it was a beautiful one at that.
I started by mowing my in-laws place using a small Craftsman then I mowed our Preachers place with my GT1554 that stays onsite. Next, I went to my place and decided to use the 2186 to mow. Last week I used the 1864. If you ever want a first hand comparison of the difference between a lawn tractor and a garden tractor try that. The 2186 cut well but the ride was rough, the tires slipped and a few times I lost traction all together. The 1864 is much more smooth, more comfortable and the Ags just don't slip. I do like the foot controls on the 2186 over the hand controls of the 1864, thats why I bought it, and it has the same 18hp Kohler that my 1864 does so I have a backup engine if needed. All in all, a very good day. About 4 hours cutting grass using three different tractors.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Grand Member

Got some seat time on the 1872, I love that tractor!

My Grandpa's Cart
Craftsman Lawn Sweeper
Craftsman Plug Aerator
Old 09-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Grand Member

Nice pics Allen!
You look more at home on the super then you do on Jenn's 2130!
Old 09-16-2012, 05:25 PM

I think you look best on the 100 Allen, but you sold that one didn't you? If so, better get another soon. You know you will miss it.
CaptMax

CC 1965 Model 102 Serial# 127109
Creeper gears, 3 point, Carlisle AG's, headlights, and a cigarette lighter.

42" Blade, Brinley plow, 42" mower deck, 1A tiller, QA36 snow thrower
Old 09-16-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMax View Post
I think you look best on the 100 Allen, but you sold that one didn't you? If so, better get another soon. You know you will miss it.
CaptMax

Allen will NEVER sell ole' dually!
Old 09-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Grand Member

I am getting a little more accustomed to seeing you on that 1872 ACecil
The sweeper looks great behind it
Old 09-16-2012, 08:45 PM

Default Egg on my face

After looking close at the parts drawing and comparing the 1811 to my 1872, I have egg on my face for saying the implement lift was installed upside down. It appears that the hyd actuator is fully extended and the mechanism is jammed in the full up position. I didn't do anything about that problem but I went down to the local dealer and picked up some supplies. First job was to change the Hydro filter. A lot of bad words were uttered. No where near as much room in that area as on the 1872. I finally took the cooling fan loose and moved it forward and out of the way which gave me a little more room. Then I couldn't find my good oil filter wrench. Decided to use the old punch a hole through the filter with a screwdriver trick. This wasn't easy either but I finally got the old filter off. Bubba must have really put the muscle to it when he put that on. Got the new filter on and topped off the fluid. Seems like I lost a lot more fluid than I usually do on the 1872. I started up the 1811 so I wouldn't overservice the hydraulic fluid. Started right up again but quit after 3 or 4 minutes. That is one of the problems I'll have to chase at a later date. I picked up a couple new plugs to put in next time I work on it. Decided to work on the brakes since they are locked up. Figured it would be easier to work on them if I took them off and work on them in a vice. Had trouble getting them off without taking the rear wheels off so I had to fight the wheel weights off to get the wheels off. These weights are plastic affairs filled with concrete. There were cracks in the plastic and all sorts of creepy crawly things were living in there. I saw ants, spiders and centipedes all over the place. The ants were the worse since they fought off the invader with all they had. But I won that battle and got the weights and the wheels off. Boy, those wheels are really rusted bad under those weights. I'll have to sand blast the worse one. I'm surprised the tire is still holding air. Doesn't sound like I did a whole lot but I spent 2 or 3 hours on it. Nice thing happened though. The wife got on the 1872 and mowed about and acre and a half which works out to a little less than half the size of the lot. First time she's mowed grass in several years.