Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

P&K Cub Cadet Machtech Direct

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Everyone, we have 2 new Sponsors!
Machtech Direct and P&K Cub Cadet (See Links above)

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 08-17-2016, 03:04 PM

Default Xt3 gsx

Afternoon all,

Ive finally made the executive desicion (along with my wife lol) that im going to purchace a dedicated lawn mower with the ability to do a little more. Im strongly concidering the XT3 GSX with a fab 54" or 60" deck. i dont really want a ZTR as some of my property has some steep inclines and some rough terain, plus i want something that can do a little more if i ask. I have about .75 acre and my father has a little over an acre and next year when my neighbor decides to sell his 3 acre lot im going to pick that up too. I just cant justify push mowing it when the 129 or the snapper SR1433 is down for repairs. I want to be able to enjoy working on my older cub not working on it so it will work for me lol. When shes done shell be my work horse with a tiller and blade and hopefully a sickle bar mower. But i need something to take the snappers place. Im concidering the XT3 GSX for the diff lock, the shaft drive and the kohler command 25 hp motor. im a little leery of the electronic lift and steering but even cars seem to be going that way now. What i have noticed about the XT3 is that the XT1 & 2 are 100% new machines and the XT2 is even rated as a "ground engageing" machine and a sleeve hitch is offered. The XT3 on the other hand doesnt have a hitch offered and appears to be the same machine it "replaced" (i think it was the GTX2154 but i could be off on that model) and they just changed the decals and paint. So i was hoping some of yall that are "in the know" might have some insight on this model.

Its supposed to be compaired to the JD x5 and x7 series and simplicity Prestige series but they both have the ability to handle alot more attachments. Is Cub testing the waters with the XT1 and 2 and then beefing up the XT3? Kinda like the auto makers do with the 1/2 ton trucks.... they make there changes there and if they are a hit the next year the HD trucks get the same upgrades?

If nothing else i believe she'll make a very solid dedicated mower....

Thanks guys!

Matt

Current:
XT3 GSX - 60" fabricated deck - spreader - 12cf steel cart - sun shade - 46" front blade
IH 129 - 44" deck - ported pump (work in progress)

(on radar)
1572 - 60" Haban fabricated Deck - other options unknown
IH Tiller for the 129

Old 08-17-2016, 03:30 PM
Banned

For the most part, the member of this site stick with older machines. I don't really know of more than about 2 or 3 guys on here with newer stuff, and they don't "work" them like the guys with the older stuff. If you want opinions, you will likely have to visit another forum. Sorry, but that is the truth.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:46 PM

Good deal, no worries, J-mech. Thanks. Honestly i dont think you can work the newer stuff like you can the older ones. Wish i could get the wife to see the end game insted of the road to get there...

Current:
XT3 GSX - 60" fabricated deck - spreader - 12cf steel cart - sun shade - 46" front blade

(on radar)
IH Tiller for the 129

Old 08-17-2016, 04:13 PM

Easy there Jon, there you go again speaking out of turn. While it is true that there may be a mere handful on this site that have one, we do work them just the older ones. That is the truth.

Case in point. I have the GTX2100 model with a 48 fab deck. First, an awesome cutting machine. I don't think you find a finer grass cutter for the cut, power, maneuverability and sheer comfort as these tractors. Electronic power steering is great, there are hundreds of thousands of snowmobiles, ATV's and some cars all with similar steering....its a technology that most on this site havent even seen in person. As for electric lift deck, also a well proven technology just as good as hydraulic. As for old school people to comment on it, it's like asking what they think of driving Dodge HellCat, many will have opinions with zero proof to back up that opinion.

As for working them hard or lack thereof, I put a johnny products sleeve hitch on the rear, an awesome product better than probably 80% of the older Cubs came with as OEM. It has 500lb lift at the end with equal downforce if needed/wanted. I pull a Brinly cultivator with it in a large garden, use the cultivator to pull out corn stalk roots and dig 8inches deep. Also have a cub 400 tiller that the tractor pulls easily. I also have a Brinly box blade and have used it to level ground very easily. Could use it to plough if I had the desire, but don't. I pull heavy loads in cart, dethatch,aerate, roll etc with it.

So to conclude, great tractor and I know of more on this site that use theirs also hard. Don't beleive all you hear!!!!! Real experience is worth more than off hand opinions
Old 08-17-2016, 04:32 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm one of "those guys".

I think it depends on what your going to do with it. If your wanting to pull a plow or a tiller I probably wouldn't recommend a newer machine if they can even do that. You will probably be mowing with it more than anything and I believe the newer machines cut a lot better than the older machines do. If you're just bush hogging nasty weeds then the quality of the cut probably doesn't matter. Will these machines be around in 15 years, probably not, but they are also a lot cheaper than were the earlier machines.

Myself, I'm too cheap to spend $4 or $5k on a new machine but that's me.

If you get one let us know how it works out for you.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Personally I like the pre 96 stuff but at lest he is buying the best the Cub offers these days. I hope it serves you well for many years.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 08-17-2016, 07:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Wedding View Post
Easy there Jon, there you go again speaking out of turn.
I don't think I spoke out of turn at all. You and Oak are the only two guys I know on here that have newer machines and use them.

While I am happy to see you use your machine, and seem very happy with it's performance, I question how many hours you put on it a year, and how often you pull a plow? It's one thing to pull some roots and drag some dirt around a couple times a year, but some of the guys with go to plow days and plow for literally days (two or three days at one event) with them like a farm tractor..... and have done that with them for years and years. (Dale Merkel "Merk" is one example.) I would seriously like to see if the rear in the 3K machines would take that for very many years. Not saying it won't..... but saying I'd like to see if it would. Going off how many have exploded already, I'm doubting they would. Not cussing the new machines.... I just don't personally think they are built near as well.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:56 AM

Shotgun and oak: Thank you sirs for the experience with the use of the newer machines, this newer GSX will be my dedicated mower, but pulling a trailer (and if a hitch is avalible a box blade. im going to check out johnny products), front blade, aerator, dethacher etc. will not be out of the question. I feel better about the electric lift and steering now too, i forgot about the ATV/UTV market. From your experiance with the newer machines, it sounds like this thing will do what my intended purpous for it very well. If i could get my wife to see how much cheaper it is to maintain an older machine insted of "you already spent this much on it to buy it?! why are you still spending money on it?!?" I wouldnt be getting a newer one... but happy wife happy life lol. So now its not fix it until something else breaks then pull it apart and fix it again, i can fix it all right the first time, and i dont have to push mow everything. Dads property is pretty much mow down weeds, but my property is mostly grass, hopefully all grass by the end of next year. So whats the issue that everyone seems to frown apon the larger decks for? do they not cut as well? Im looking to get the 54" or 60" fab deck.

Sam and John:
With the above said, i must agree with you. The machines that were built '96 and before are in my opinion supirior machines. Much more heavy duty and much better built that the newer ones. Thats why im going to leave my heavy duty work, tilling, plowing, etc. for my 129 and eventually my Super when i come across one, and when i do, i very well may put this newer one up for sale.

Thanks Guys,

Matt

Current:

(on radar)
IH Tiller for the 129

Old 08-18-2016, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Matt

I have no issue buying new. I get it that some people just don't have the time to spend rebuilding an older machine. They just want to cut the grass and get to other things in life. I'm all good with that. Keep us posted on how you like the new kid.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 08-18-2016, 10:44 AM

I think you will be very happy with that tractor, especially with a Johnny Products sleeve hitch. It is a really well built part.

But with everything, good maintenance is key. I have 200 hours by end of year on a 3 year old machine. Mower deck will outlive you if you take care of it, it weighs some 200lbs and is a bear to take off just due to weight of it.

Here is mine with the tiller

and Hitch close up, LED light was added