Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

P&K Cub Cadet Machtech Direct

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Everyone, we have 2 new Sponsors!
Machtech Direct and P&K Cub Cadet (See Links above)

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Engines > Kohler Engines

Notices

Old 08-08-2024, 11:23 AM

Default K301 balance gear pin hole plugs

Hello, I have a 122 that i have been workig pretty hard in the nc mountains. One of the balance grenades has exploded. the damage to the balance gear pin bosses are:
the lower one is cracked with the pin and gear still on.
the upper palance gear was destroyed, the pin was bent about 10 degrees and the upper pin boss is broken out. the pin was in the pan with an assortment of other steel parts.When I inspected the block I figured i needed a new block. started looking and decided to get another tractor with a good 12 hp to get my tractor up and running.( Bought another 122 got it home it runs well) but after reading about the balance gears am thinking about rebuilding the original engine without the balance gears.? my question is can i install brass plugs or JB weld in the pin holes and put this engine back together? The cylinder walls and piston look good but i haven had a chance to measure anything? I would like to plug up the holes and reassemble the engine without the balance gears?
Thank you
Bill
oh no now i have two of them!

IMG_3423-2.jpg
Old 08-08-2024, 12:29 PM
Grand Member

FWIW, this is a paste of a tip from a pullers web site about removing the gears.
Note the part about plugging the pin holes....

The balance gears in a Kohler engine can be removed without removing the crankshaft. To do this, first, remove the oil pan, and use high quality, heavy duty snap ring pliers with 90° tips to remove the [heavy gauge] snap rings that retain the balance gears, and rotate the crankshaft so the counterweight will clear the balance gears. However, the counterweights on the K301 crankshaft are machined off, allowing room to remove the balance gears. But on the K321, K341 and K361 engines, one of the counterweights may be in the way. If it is, try driving the pins into the crankcase from outside the PTO end of the block, and use clear RTV silicone adhesive sealant to securely plug the holes in the block. Because the snap rings that retain the balance gears are actually thicker than ordinary ones, which makes them harder to expand. A flat screwdriver may need to be wedged under each snap ring to help pry them off the stub shafts. (I've been there and done this many times. And it's difficult each time.) Be sure to remove the spacers (if equipped) and shims from the shafts, too. By the way - the shims from removal of the balance gears can be used as camshaft shims to set the cam-to-block clearance on the K241-K361 engines.
Old 08-08-2024, 04:23 PM

Ironman,
Thank you for the reply, I have been looking and found: tap the casting and install recessed set screws or 1/2 inch freze plugs the beat in cup kind or silicone.I think I may try the freze plug type. I may be in for a rod and new piston because when I took another look at the cyl wall slight scratches in one spot? the outside of the block where the balance gear pins are were has no visible cracks just the upper pin boss destroyed on the inside.

Thanks again Bill Aylor

IMG_3437.jpg
Old 08-25-2024, 06:33 PM

Default Tappetts worn from valve stem end/Pictures

Hello all,
I have finished cleaning and painting most of the parts for my K301, and i am ready for assembly. I have installed a new governor gear, shimmed and installed the camshaft and pin, installed the crankshaft. Upon checking the valve lash between the tappetts and the valve stem I noticed that the adjusters on the top of the tappetts have a reversed valve stem end pounded into the top of them? I think i have to have them resurfaced if they are not flat I cannot check them with a feeler guage.
I know from lurking on the sight that pictures are needed, wanted,appreciated.
Thanks again for all the help.
Bill
This is fun![ATTACH]IMG_3460.jpg[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3458.jpg (17.2 KB, 35 views)
Old 08-26-2024, 09:03 AM

use a belt sander or the side of a bench grinder wheel and clean them up so they have a slight crown on them
Old 08-26-2024, 09:28 AM

Default Resurface tappet face

thank you so much for this information. One is about .005, but the other one is about .020. i will try to use the side of the bench grinder wheel. I will post pictures when I have them cleaned up.

Thanks again Dale,
Bill
Old 08-26-2024, 11:40 AM

Default Tappets cleaned up Pics.

I have cleaned up and installed the tappets and camshaft. on to the crank. i have included a couple of pictures of the setup and the finished tappets.you kids dont try this at home.

Thanks again for the info,
Bill

IMG_3462.jpg
IMG_3461.jpg
Old 08-26-2024, 05:58 PM

Project on hold for a couple of days until i get the additional camshaft shims, and the wristpin retainers.
thanks,
Bill