Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

P&K Cub Cadet Machtech Direct

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Everyone, we have 2 new Sponsors!
Machtech Direct and P&K Cub Cadet (See Links above)

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 11:18 AM

Default 1882 purchasing advice

I have an opportunity to pick up an 1882 that needs quite a bit of work and I'm looking for some advice on whether I should take the risk or not.

I was at this guys place looking at a 1650 that looked like it wasn't very well taken care and also would have needed some extensive work. But I passed on it because of the serious red flags I saw.

The guy, I believe, makes his living from fixing up and selling small engine equipment. So I don't think he is the person that's done these things to the tractors.

But back to the 1882. My brief glance at the tractor showed that it needs a lot of paint and cosmetic updates. Will need new tires. It has the 60" deck. No rear PTO or 3pt. I didn't look under the hood or tunnel cover, but what I just found out this morning is that it has a B&S engine in it. Everything I found through brief research says it should have a Kohler in it.

What kind of issues could I see with a replacement engine? Should I just not even consider purchasing it because of what was needed to be changed to get that motor in there? Could the engine replacement effect the driveshaft or possibly the front PTO belt sizes?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Cub Newbie

And always....
Old 06-24-2010, 11:34 AM

If it has a Briggs Vanguard v-twin in it. They might have bought a engine replacement kit from somewhere like these people.
http://www.jimsrepairjimstractors.com/Engines.htm

If so it is a pretty straight forward swap. the kits include everything to make it work right. There really is nothing wrong with the Vanguards other than not being a Kohler.

JOE
Old 06-24-2010, 11:45 AM

I doubt it was a swap kit. The thing looks like it's been sitting in a heap for awhile now.

I'm hoping he responds to my emails with some more information about the engine.

Cub Newbie

And always....
Old 06-24-2010, 12:14 PM

Well then, if the price is right. You could buy it and part it out. There are a couple of us on here that are needing some super parts. In fact I am going to Patton acres tomorrow to spend $500 on parts for my build. Depending on where in PA you are, I would be interested in the motor, if it is a Vanguard. And definitely the frame and tunnel cover. Probably even more, we would have to talk.

JOE
Old 06-24-2010, 12:47 PM

If that Vanguard isn't at least 22 or 23 hp, it isn't enough motor for a super IMO. The V-twins don't have the torque of the older boxer twins.

The 1882 has the plastic hood, nose, and sidepanels, all of which are hard to find and expensive in good condition. The cyclops tractors were notorious for wiring issues, and the paint on most of them is also a trouble spot. Mechanically, they're slightly better than the preceding series. There's a lot of good parts in them (CV joint driveshaft, PS, 30mm axles and carrier, etc.) that can be used on the older 82 series tractors.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:44 PM

Well, the guy finally responded and he's telling me that it's a factory Briggs engine and that CC is telling him there were 1882 with Kolhers and Briggs engine. I find this dubious as I'm unable to confirm this through parts look ups and CC direct support line that I just called also said they all came with Kohlers.

The plus side is he's asking $800 for it as it sits right now. Needs a new or rebuilt starter or could be the electrical issues Matt mentioned.

I have no idea who he talked to, or if he talked to anyone. All the plastic is there and he said it wasn't cracked, but I didn't take a close look at it.

I'm thinking I need to take a much closer look at it in order to make a final decision.

And Joe, I live in Harborcreek, just outside of Erie.

Cub Newbie

And always....
Old 06-24-2010, 01:59 PM

DANGER,
I am in Meadville, about 40 miles south of you. Now that I know how close you are. I think you should buy it and part it out. You can easily get more than $800 out of the parts on it. I would be in for $75 on the frame and tunnel cover, and you can keep the dual brake setup.

And I have never heard of there being any supers that had B&S from the factory.

JOE
Old 06-24-2010, 02:05 PM

Very familiar with Meadville. Used to live right on the Diamond for a couple years and grew up in Conneautville.

I'll see if I can get another good look at the tractor. Hoping I didn't burn any bridges with the guy with my last email calling him out on his BS concerning the B&S (pun intended :biggrin2.gif: )

We'll see what he says, but I'm not sure if I'd want to part it out. I did find out that he's saying the engine is an 18HP. But no clue how old or what type of B&S it is.

Who knows maybe this guy is completely bonkers and it actually has a Kohler in it and he's just taking the word of the guy he got it off of.

Cub Newbie

And always....
Old 06-24-2010, 02:17 PM

There is a 2072 on Erie craigslist. It is somewhere in Edinboro. They are asking $800 if I remember rite. Just search for cub cadet on the Erie section. The listing said the rearend had come loose from the frame and needs fixed. I also think it had a 60 inch deck and a snow blower. Might want to check that out.

Edit. Here is the link. http://erie.craigslist.org/grd/1776016617.html

JOE
Old 06-24-2010, 02:27 PM

Might give them a call. Ad is about 3 weeks old though. I think remember seeing it then and didn't call because when you have a loose rear end and drive shaft there's an uncountable number of things can get be permanently harmed from that situation.

I check the Erie and surrounding areas(2-3 hours away) on CL almost every day. Seems around here you have one of two types of older cubs. The ones that are about perfect, full restores and those that look like they were in a war zone. I keep hoping for a good middle ground one I can have as a back up or project tractor to my 1811, but so far not much luck.

Cub Newbie

And always....