Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

P&K Cub Cadet Machtech Direct

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Everyone, we have 2 new Sponsors!
Machtech Direct and P&K Cub Cadet (See Links above)

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 11-29-2022, 06:54 PM

Default Choke linkage parts - 2166

Hi all.

Crawling back to the hive mind after exhausting all resources and the best Google-fi I can muster...

I have a 2166 tractor with the Kohler CH16 that's been new to me for the last 5 years or so, and thanks to the help here, I've been able to keep it going and it's been running pretty well.

Since I got it though, it's always done this annoying thing where the choke will vibrate its way closed. Not a big deal...when it wants to stall, just push the choke back in and keep going. It has finally decided I've ignored it for too long and the Cub has stepped the problem up to the next level, so now I guess I'm going to try to do something about it.

I went to mow one time and could not get the tractor started. Lifted the hood to find the choke linkage dangling. I'm going to guess that the vibration rattled the linkage bolt loose and it's probably out in the yard somewhere, lost. I always thought this lever (part KH-12-090-14) was missing a bushing or something, even with the original bolt...the fit was super sloppy. I was able to get going by finding another bolt that fit the hole in the air cleaner base and reconnecting the linkage...but now the slop is just ridiculous.

Easy enough, go to the parts diagrams and buy the parts, right? So here's the problem. I have not been able to find and therefore identify anything besides the "upper choke linkage" in any diagram, be it Cub Cadet or Kohler. The engine control diagram shows the KH-12-090-14 linkage but not the bolt that it pivots on, and screws into the air cleaner base.

So I guess question 1 is...does anyone either know the part number of this bolt that fastens the upper choke lever to the air cleaner base? Also if you have an original, could you measure the bolt with a caliper in the event this part isn't available? I can get the diameter and thread pitch since I have one that fits, but I suppose what's more important is anything like a bare shaft or shoulder that would make it different from any ordinary hardware store bolt.

Question 2 would be how this thing is supposed to be configured originally...again if you have an original, a photo would help. Is it supposed to have a plastic bushing or something, or maybe the wrong bolt was in there the first time?

I attached a photo I took AFTER I rigged it to get the grass cut, mostly for my own reference so I would know what parts I needed. Maybe this helps show what I'm talking about though. The bolt shown is just one that happened to fit and would hold the lever long enough to get the grass cut.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Whenever this is resolved, that bolt is getting some Loc-tite for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5535.jpeg (26.2 KB, 81 views)
Old 12-03-2022, 04:53 AM

There should be a lock nut on the other side of that bolt to provide the friction fit against the air cleaner base. The only ones I've had trouble with like you are describing are the ones that previous owners have fiddled with when removing the the air cleaner to get access to the carb. I always leave the linkage attached and pivot the cable out of the way. No need to mess with that linkage.

Once you get it dialed in you should no more choke-creep.

I'll look today and confirm whether or not the bolt is anything special, I have a couple 2166s here.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:30 PM

Thank you sir, that would be a great help. A photo would be even better.

Great to hear that resolving this could also resolve that long time issue with choke creep. That's a good concise description of it, too.

I was messing with it the other day and realized the bolt I had stuck in there actually is NOT correct, so if you have a way of checking the diameter and thread pitch, that would be FANTASTIC.