Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

P&K Cub Cadet Machtech Direct

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Everyone, we have 2 new Sponsors!
Machtech Direct and P&K Cub Cadet (See Links above)

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Welcome to OCC > Welcome to OnlyCubCadets

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 01:07 AM

Default new to the forum

I recently purchased a 1970 IH cub cadet 147. I bought the tractor for $160 and was told the engine was rebuilt 5 years ago and the previous owner gave up on it because he damaged the crankshaft keyway. I was told the only thing that was needed was a crankshaft replacement. I got it home and started to tear into it and I quickly realized that I was sold a lie. I was rotating the crankshaft and discovered that it had NO compression what-so-ever, it was also making a strange noise while turning it over by hand. So my next step, I removed the head and good grief the valves weren't moving. So I opened up the oil pan only to find that one of the balance gears had exploded and it had screwed up the timing gear on the camshaft. It also took a small chunk out of the bottom of the cylinder wall. Well this didn't make me to happy, not only was the crankshaft messed up, but the block and camshaft were junk. Basically the engine is trashed. So I called up my friend that owns a mower shop and he hooked me up with a K301 12hp good block, crankshaft, and camshaft for 100 bucks. I took that engine home and tore it apart. I took the block and crankshaft back to him for inspection and a hone or bore depending upon what is required.

I don't think $165 was a horrible price, even considering its condition but I do feel honked off that the guy that sold me the machine lied about the condition of the engine. I guess its possible that the engine was rebuilt and the balance gears destroyed it. He still was not honest with me. The engine is scrap metal unless I spent the money to have it sleeved. I will keep it as a spare block. I know that I'm going to loose 2 hp but I hardly think it will be very noticeable. I could have the block punched out and then install a 14hp piston, but then I would have less rebuilding options with that block in the future. I'm going to go a good through rebuild on it. A red flag should have gone up when I asked the previous owner if I could remove the head and visually inspect the bore for a rebuild. he said that he didn't want me to take it apart anymore than it already was, which now I know was BS

I actually thought about parting the machine out, but there is too much of that going on already as it is. machines of this quality will never be manufactured ever again. I think a full restoration will eventually be in order, right now I'm just going for a mechanical overhaul with an eventual plan for cosmetic work. These are good tractors and have wanted one sense I was younger and used to play with an old Bolens ride-a-matic. I dont think I could bring myself to gut it out

The other issue I have to address is the deck which is in poor condition. I probably could use it for a year or 2 but it already has been patched and has a couple of small holes. The metal is also badly pitted. I'm looking around trying to find a good deck locally for a narrow frame cub. its not really easy to find a good one and I don't want to pay freight shipping.

I have been into the lawn and garden scene for a few years now. I also own a 1971 jd 112 square fender with a good running k301. For that tractor, I have a 38" deck, a 47 deck, a 42 blade, a 37a blower, and a 31 tiller. I have collected those attachment over the course of several years now and started with no attachments and a worn out k241. The 112 could use a cosmetic restoration, but runs quite well and is a good tractor

It will take me a few years to get the cub cadet to that point and but I think it will be worth it. It will be much nicer to have a hydrostatic tractor with a large deck to mow my 2 acre property.

Anyways that's my IH cub story so far.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:16 AM
Banned

Bummer about the motor but glad to have you here.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:36 AM

Default wide frame vs. narrow frame?

how do the two compare on a performance basis. how does a 147 compare to a 149 for example. are they about equally as strong of a machine. just curious
Old 12-20-2010, 02:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad356 View Post
how do the two compare on a performance basis. how does a 147 compare to a 149 for example. are they about equally as strong of a machine. just curious
It depends on what your wanting to do. My 122 has a 10 hp in it and it pulls a plow and powers the model 1 tiller just fine. I haven't put the tiller extensions on yet but those will strain the 10 hp down a bit. The larger the snow thrower the larger the engine needed. What all are you wanting to do with your cub besides mow with it? You could contact our site sponsers or put a posting in the wanted section of the site looking for the parts to rebuild your 12 hp. You wouldn't have any probles finding the parts your needing for it. I would keep the 10 hp as a back up tho. You could always try the 10 hp out and see how it works for you.

Rich at Patton Acres or Chris at Cub Cadet Classics would take very good care of you and both are site sponsers just click on their logo at the top of every page.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:47 AM

The BEST cure for Yellow fever!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:16 AM

Wanted It
Had A Fit
Got It

MY Cubs Original x 2 , 70 x 7 , 71 x 2 , 72 x 4 , 73 , 76 , 100 x 3 , 104 , 106 , 109 , 128 , 129, 147 x 2 , 804 , 2 Wheel Horses and Lorenzo's 2 - 804's
Old 12-20-2010, 06:53 AM
Grand Member

ad356

Sorry to hear about your trouble with the engine.
But glad to hear you are going to save the tractor
Old 12-20-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos View Post
It depends on what your wanting to do. My 122 has a 10 hp in it and it pulls a plow and powers the model 1 tiller just fine. I haven't put the tiller extensions on yet but those will strain the 10 hp down a bit. The larger the snow thrower the larger the engine needed. What all are you wanting to do with your cub besides mow with it? You could contact our site sponsers or put a posting in the wanted section of the site looking for the parts to rebuild your 12 hp. You wouldn't have any probles finding the parts your needing for it. I would keep the 10 hp as a back up tho. You could always try the 10 hp out and see how it works for you.

Rich at Patton Acres or Chris at Cub Cadet Classics would take very good care of you and both are site sponsers just click on their logo at the top of every page.

im installing a k301 12 hp, not a k241 10hp. just wanted to clear that up. the question i had was, is there a difference in performance between the narrow and wide frames when all else is equal. i used the example of a 147 vs. a 149 because both are powered by a k321 from the factory and made 14 hp. is the 147 a nice tractor or are the wide frames more desirable?
Old 12-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Grand Member

Glad to have you!

My Grandpa's Cart
Craftsman Lawn Sweeper
Craftsman Plug Aerator
Old 12-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad356 View Post
im installing a k301 12 hp, not a k241 10hp. just wanted to clear that up. the question i had was, is there a difference in performance between the narrow and wide frames when all else is equal. i used the example of a 147 vs. a 149 because both are powered by a k321 from the factory and made 14 hp. is the 147 a nice tractor or are the wide frames more desirable?
There is 'no' difference in performance...same motor and hydro's. What makes the 147 desirable collector wise is that it was the top of the line Cadillac in the 1x7 series being the biggest engine cub put out at that time and if I am correct came with electric lift.

Now as for NF versus WF, the WF's are much easier to work on having the tunnel that can be removed in front of the seat for access to the drive shaft and transmission linkage. There is to me also more room to work on the engine in a WF. Would I turn down a 147? Absolutely not!!

1973: 128, ag tires, 3pt. lift, spring assist, lights, 42" Deck

10" moldboard plow

2016 XT1 42" deck 18HP