Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

P&K Cub Cadet Machtech Direct

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Everyone, we have 2 new Sponsors!
Machtech Direct and P&K Cub Cadet (See Links above)

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 02-05-2019, 08:30 AM

Default Right and left handed Hydro controls

I searched the forum and can't seem to find a list, was hoping for a bit of help.

I tried to run my 149 a bit plowing the driveway, and noticed that it is a royal pain to work all the controls, as the hydraulic lift is on the right and the hydrostat control is on the left. I haven't decided if I want to build a foot control, replace the 149 with a different tractor altogether, change out all the controls with those from a different tractor, or just plow all the snow with the 106 and hope it never breaks.

I spent a lot of time on a forklift in a warehouse and I truly prefer to operate the throttle, hydrostat, and hydraulics with my right hand, leaving the left hand on the wheel at all times.

All of these issues are escalated by my 149's terrible brakes, worn out trunion, and throttle that slowly creeps back to idle.
Grumpy old 149/1A tiller, Trusty Rusty 106, & a Massey Ferguson 10 to work the garden, Tiny Snapper to mow the lawn. Slowly accumulating attachments and quickly driving the neighbors crazy on a half acre homestead.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:19 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedawg82 View Post
I searched the forum and can't seem to find a list, was hoping for a bit of help.

I tried to run my 149 a bit plowing the driveway, and noticed that it is a royal pain to work all the controls, as the hydraulic lift is on the right and the hydrostat control is on the left. I haven't decided if I want to build a foot control, replace the 149 with a different tractor altogether, change out all the controls with those from a different tractor, or just plow all the snow with the 106 and hope it never breaks.

I spent a lot of time on a forklift in a warehouse and I truly prefer to operate the throttle, hydrostat, and hydraulics with my right hand, leaving the left hand on the wheel at all times.

All of these issues are escalated by my 149's terrible brakes, worn out trunion, and throttle that slowly creeps back to idle.
I'm sure you can deescalate your problems by fixing the stated problems quite easily.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:27 AM
Grand Member

You stated the obvious in the end. Deescalate first and then evaluate.
#2 Cart
QA36 snowthower
Old 02-05-2019, 09:27 AM
Grand Member

The quiet lines, 100 1200.1250,1450 & 1650's have everything on the right side.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:31 AM

I switched the hydraulic lift to the left side on my 1250. I like it better that way.

Dad's 122 w/42" cast deck, spring assist, lights,weights, rear lift
1250 w/hydraulic lift, lights,weights, spring assist.
50C deck converted to an A with front wheels
44C deck converted to an A with front wheels.
QA-36A
42" blade
Old 02-05-2019, 10:04 AM

I like the foot control hydro pedal option when I need to use my hands to steer and work the hyd lift ! There's some members here that did nice conversions and you can still keep the dash lever ! just my opinion !
Old 02-05-2019, 10:09 AM
Grand Member

Myself, and other members of this forum have been successful at creating a foot control system, but it takes a lot of time and tweaking to perfect. If you don't have some design and fabrication skills and are short on patience don't even consider it. That being said, the best foot control in the world is not going to cure your other simple to fix ills.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13footpedal3.jpg (21.5 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg 14footpedal4.jpg (25.8 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg 25damper5.jpg (24.3 KB, 147 views)
Old 02-05-2019, 01:37 PM

My 149 needs the laundry list I mentioned, along with a rear lift in order to till up my garden in the spring, which is coming up real quick, forcing me to prioritize the large number of projects consuming my life at the moment. If I'm going to fix a tractor, I should probably fix one that I'll love. I'm estimating a 2 week thrash to and a $500 bill at the moment to get the 149 together. Thay same $500 and a potential trade could get me another unit that's ready to go, maybe even something that would run a tiller with both extensions.

For those of you suggesting repair and re evaluate, that's a likely route. If this is tractor isbas nice as all of you cult followers claim, I should be able to put on my big boy pants and run it like all the PO's have managed to do just fine for the past 50 years.

For those of you pointing out the difficulty and time consumption of the foot control, THANK YOU. I'll include that in the re-evaluation.

To the fellow that moved his lift control to the left, you may have just nailed it. If there's a build thread, please link it. Any tips, tricks, words of wisdom, warning, and pics would be greatly appreciated. I could get used to grabbing all the controls with my left hand, especially if it's a quick and easy conversion.
Grumpy old 149/1A tiller, Trusty Rusty 106, & a Massey Ferguson 10 to work the garden, Tiny Snapper to mow the lawn. Slowly accumulating attachments and quickly driving the neighbors crazy on a half acre homestead.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:13 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedawg82 View Post
My 149 needs the laundry list I mentioned,

To the fellow that moved his lift control to the left, you may have just nailed it. If there's a build thread, please link it. Any tips, tricks, words of wisdom, warning, and pics would be greatly appreciated.

I could get used to grabbing all the controls with my left hand, especially if it's a quick and easy conversion.

If I remember correctly, the 149 simply has that straight out lever, that rotates,,

Why not take a piece of 3/4" electrical conduit, and two hose clamps, and extend the lever to the right??

I recommended conduit, instead of a piece of broom handle, because you may need a couple bends.

That,,, at least,, would determine if you like the opposite hand control,,,

The love of foot pedal control is what got me to jump off the Cub Cadet ship,, and replace my daily tractor with the JD 4105,,,
The JD hydro foot pedal system is so addictive,,, I have two of them now,,
Old 02-05-2019, 02:19 PM
Grand Member

You do have foot controls on the Hydro. It's called the return to neutral pedal. I use mine a lot when I plow snow. Just before I hit the pile. Raise the blade with hand control and hit the pedal with my foot. That leave one hand on my beer!