Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

P&K Cub Cadet Machtech Direct

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Everyone, we have 2 new Sponsors!
Machtech Direct and P&K Cub Cadet (See Links above)

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 03-29-2009, 11:32 PM

Default Baking painted parts ???

I got this heating cabinet from work for free.Its meant to keep prepared foods warm.It heats from 100 to 300 or so.Its pretty big over 6 feet tall and about 30 inches wide.

My questions, have any of you "baked" your painted parts?
I was reading a couple posts on another fourm about this and have been thinking about it for quite some time now.BUT I could not convince my wife it was a good enough idea to put painted parts into her new oven!!When I ran across this I snatched it up real quick!!

Do you belive there would be any benifits to baking?
Im not talking powder coat,just regular acrilic,epoxy paints.

I do not want to spend money on electric if its a waste of time and not benificial to the paint curing process!!
Tell me what you think.
jason
Old 03-30-2009, 12:12 AM

I have a heated bake spray booth. we usually heat a freshly painted car at about 190 degrees for a recommended amount of time. Different paints call for different heats. It is awesome'
My concern with what you are wanting to do is explosion , if its not vented , the fumes from the paint and heat could get bad and be bad. Is there open heat coils? that scares me , I would recommend that you speak with a spray booth company Or anybody thats qualified to analyze the equipment. Closed up like it would be , thats a bomb. Please be safe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-016S.jpg (36.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-30-2009, 12:26 AM

Thank you Dr Baily.
I dint believe its a vented cabinet,at least not power vented.AND the heating element is on top its not directly exposed but fumes are able to get there.It has a fan that blows the heat down the sides through channel's and out into the cabinet at various levels.It probably recirculates the same air through the electric element.
Oh well it will make a great cabinet for holding parts and stuff!!!

Sooooo, If you can safely "bake" parts what are the benefits?? That is a very nice booth you have there.I believe if i leave my garage shut up in summer i can obtain 140 + degrees!!!

Thanks Jason
Old 03-30-2009, 07:22 AM

Sooooo, If you can safely "bake" parts what are the benefits?? That is a very nice booth you have there. I believe if I leave my garage shut up in summer I can obtain 140 + degrees!!!

Thanks Jason

Jason , I think benefits are major. Main thing to me is , after baking procedure the paint on the vehicle is fully cured. A full paint cure in two hours instead of 8 to 24 hours (depending on weather) and we no longer have to wait all those hours to buff and polish new paint, IF necessary to buff paint ,we can do that in 2 or 3 hours.
Baking is a serious benefit to the customer (quality) and its a profitable benefit to any body & paint repair facility,In other words ,baking speeds up production.
I googled "paint baking oven" there is some interesting reading on the sites. might answer questions better than I can.
I hope you can safely come up with a way to use your oven, it would be nice.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:04 PM
murphycc

Yes bakem.

Parts small enough to fit into an oven I bake at 215 degrees for 1 hour. For automotive grade acrylics I let dry 24 hours to release most of the solvents and to provide a good hardness for handling. Once baked the finish is incredibly hard.

I used to build AK47s and I would bake them within about 1 hour after applying finish for 3 hours at 525 degrees.

Bake away man.

Scott
Old 04-05-2009, 10:31 PM

Default Bake Paint

I bake parts that will fit in the oven after they have air dryed at 150deg for one hour it cures the paint ,haven't had any problem doing this, but wouldn't bake the gas tank that could get scarry. LOL JMD
Old 04-06-2009, 12:15 AM

Scott and JMD,
Do you bake them in a conventional oven?
Thanks for your input.
Jason
Old 04-06-2009, 01:01 AM

Default Oven

I'M no cook it a regular oven thats all I know also it electric, and my wife's not to happy about me using it LOL. I don't think I would use gas, maybe someone else has tried that. I see some bake at a higher Temp but 150deg works for me. JMD When I figure out how I'll post a picture of my Cub 102 That my kids got me for Christmas and left on the side of my pole barn under a tarp.