Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

P&K Cub Cadet Machtech Direct

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Everyone, we have 2 new Sponsors!
Machtech Direct and P&K Cub Cadet (See Links above)

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT)

Notices

Old 04-15-2024, 10:34 AM

Default XT-1 Click with No Start

Hi everyone!

So, last year my XT-1 would often click a few times before starting. This year, it’s just the click and nothing else. I had the battery on a tender over the winter and it tested at 12.58 volts, but was giving off a bit of a rotten egg smell so I replaced it. No difference.

I also replaced the starter solenoid since it was inexpensive. No difference.

I removed the starter and tried to bench test it with a new battery, but nothing happened, so I bought and installed a new starter. No difference!

I bench tested the new starter and again, nothing. Not sure why it would not spin with voltage applied? ?

I then bench tested both the old and new solenoids and both test at 12.5 volts on the output.

I reinstalled the old solenoid and again, just a click.

Then I tested voltage at the solenoid and starter while on the tractor and I’m only getting between 3 and 4 volts on the output.

I have looked for corroded or chewed wires and don’t see anything.

I am at my wits end and would love some input on what to try next!

Thanks much.
Old 04-15-2024, 03:03 PM

Ok, so the latest update. I removed the spark plug to see if the engine was locked up, nope.

I removed the red wire from the solenoid output and tested the solenoid again, this time I got full voltage. I tried a new wire directly from the solenoid output to the starter, no joy.

Reinstalled the red wire to the solenoid output and removed the other end from the starter and got full voltage at the wire. Reattached the wire to the starter and I’m back to 3 or 4 volts.

I’m thinking my new direct from Cub Cadet starter is defective!
Old 04-15-2024, 03:12 PM
Grand Member

I'd be suspecting a bad/dirty/corroded connection where your negative battery cable bolts to your chassis.
Or the cable itself it could be bad.
Old 04-15-2024, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
I'd be suspecting a bad/dirty/corroded connection where your negative battery cable bolts to your chassis.
Or the cable itself it could be bad.
Thanks Ironman, I tried that. I ran a new wire from the frame to the battery, no dice. I even ran a dedicated ground to the solenoid and no go.

I just tested voltage using the disconnected red wire at the starter and the starter bolt (ground) and I got full voltage there. I can honestly not think of anything other than another bad starter.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:07 PM
Grand Member

It is possible that you could have a defective new starter given all you have done. Keep in mind that you can have the volts but not the structure to support the amp loads required by starter and solenoid. Ironman gave you a good suggestion and I also suggest you check the positive side as well. Sometimes the connections of terminals to cables go bad. Good luck.
#2 Cart
QA36 snowthower
Old 04-16-2024, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy-O View Post
It is possible that you could have a defective new starter given all you have done.
Thanks Billy. I have traced all of the wires from front to back and I can’t find anything obvious. No corrosion, no chewed wires, etc.

Regarding the starter, if I bench test it with a good battery, should it spin?

I have watched YouTube videos where the starter nearly jumps off the table when voltage is applied.

I get nothing from either the old or new starter.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Which engine does your XT-1 have?
Old 04-16-2024, 08:00 AM
Grand Member

A "bench test" consists of a set of jumper cables and a known good battery.
( A jump from your daily vehicle battery is a good source of 12V.)
With the negative jumper cable firmly attached to the body of the starter,
Be it a bolt ear of some other metal part, and touching the positive jumper cable to the input wire going into the starter, it will spin, just be advised they tend to try to rotate vigorously so be prepared that if on the bench it might try to fail on the floor.
Easier to test on the floor(no place to fall)
is either don't spin, then they are defective.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubDieselFan View Post
Which engine does your XT-1 have?
Not sure exactly. It is labeled as Cub Cadet 547cc, but I didn’t think Cub made their own engines?
Old 04-16-2024, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'George View Post
A "bench test" consists of a set of jumper cables and a known good battery.
( A jump from your daily vehicle battery is a good source of 12V.)
Thanks George. I tried testing it exactly as you described with both the tractor battery and my car battery. All I get is a some arcing and the jumper wires get very warm, very quickly! No spinning on either starter.