Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

P&K Cub Cadet Machtech Direct

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Everyone, we have 2 new Sponsors!
Machtech Direct and P&K Cub Cadet (See Links above)

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 06-16-2020, 10:37 AM

Default Can the S/G produce 115v from its 12v?

I am adding to this thread because it seems like some smart folk have already contributed to it. And my question is electrical.

I am a very cheap and resourceful New Englander. I recently bought my first CC, and it is a 1972 #129. Ive got it running quite well now, and charging its new battery reliably. My "new to me" neglected home came with a bunch or large and small solar inverters, plus a plug-in electric chainsaw. I DO need a chainsaw, and I don't feel like buying a gas one right now. So I am wondering:

With a strong charge output, can I "jump off" my battery to a small inverter and then run a 115v accesory? Could I then park the CC at idle, and run my chainsaw from it? I will admit that my starter/gen looks original and I it might need a rebuild some time. But it doesn't whine or rattle or anything. I AM wondering if using the original starter/gen is a foolish idea due to stress created. The main engine was replaced with a 1991, but the starter looks original.

Any and all comments are appreciated! -Christopher
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200525_120610.jpg (50.5 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 20200523_142612_resized.jpg (29.0 KB, 117 views)
Old 06-16-2020, 11:11 AM

Your battery will put out maybe 200 amps and its amp-hour rating might be 10. Divide 10 by 200 and we get .05 hours or 3 minutes. If you have a 1200 watt inverter that would probably power an electric chainsaw so maybe you could run it for 3 minutes. Your generator will not keep the battery charged at that rate. Think of the generator as a trickle charger at maybe 10 or 20 amps. You could probably trim a few limbs before the battery dies.

Please try it and let us know what happens, or you could just borrow a real chainsaw and cut all day with it.

Barn fresh 1811 with:
44c mowing deck
QA42A snow thrower
42" snow blade
Old 06-16-2020, 11:50 AM
Inactive Member

The S/G puts out 15 Amps at Maximum. With that in mind, you could run and A/C inverter with a maximum load of 180 Watts.

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

[SIZE="4"][B][COLOR="Red"]Buy:[/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"] Made in the USA[/COLOR][/B] [/SIZE]:American Flag 1:
Old 06-16-2020, 12:05 PM

I thank you both for your replies. I guess I was overly optimistic! This little machine with its 12hp and hydro feels so strong, and the generator looks much larger than the very small chainsaw. But if it will only output 180 watts (or a few minutes before battery decline), then that is not enough. I guess the massive look of the starter generator is due to it strength as a starter, its dual purpose... or maybe just due to the fact that it was probably engineered and "overbuilt" in 1960. I HAVE been given an "almost running" Stihl (sp?) #350. Perhaps that is worth fixing.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:45 PM
Grand Member

There were/are gen sets available that ran off the PTO and frame mounted on the front via the QA setup.
I'd be in the market form one of them, or just go buy a portable gen-set and pull it around on a Cub Cart.

You guys get ice storms up that way and it would sure be handy for that in a pinch, could at least power your furnace to keep warm!!
Old 06-16-2020, 01:27 PM
Grand Member

Google says a stihl #350 is a back pack blower,
but I didn't dig deep.
If you were given a stihl, it is worth what you spend fixing it!!
They ain't a china knock off POS.
As far as a cub driven generator, these are fun to use, and they are in the vicinity of 4500 Watts.
'Course you have to run yer engine @ 3600 RPM's so it is not Honda quiet
Pincor:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pincor_gen1.jpg (29.0 KB, 106 views)
Old 06-16-2020, 03:07 PM

My mistake, the saw is a Husqvarna 350. I am told by a repair shop/dealer that it needs a $10 part and $120 labor. So that might be a fun challenge, but the assemblies are SO small I might fail. George, that front mounted generator is quite something! I will not be going that route. But it is surely resourceful. I suppose if I'm feeling really creative, I could get the SG to charge a second battery as well, and then double my cutting time with an electric saw. But I may be tempting fate (again) by asking the SG to charge more than it was designed for. A much simpler task would be to get it to charge.... a cell phone aka super computer. (hashtag: USB
Old 06-16-2020, 04:23 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherCT View Post
My mistake, the saw is a Husqvarna 350. I am told by a repair shop/dealer that it needs a $10 part and $120 labor. So that might be a fun challenge, but the assemblies are SO small I might fail. George, that front mounted generator is quite something! I will not be going that route. But it is surely resourceful. I suppose if I'm feeling really creative, I could get the SG to charge a second battery as well, and then double my cutting time with an electric saw. But I may be tempting fate (again) by asking the SG to charge more than it was designed for. A much simpler task would be to get it to charge.... a cell phone aka super computer. (hashtag: USB
Cell fone?
As I've never been in prison/jail, I haven't needed to use one.
As far as hashtag usb, is that like a label for corned beef hash?
If so,never liked the stuff!

Now iffin' yall be trying to listen to an am radio near the cub, it will get ya a lot of static, just like during a thunderstorm.
Me thinks yall should just use that cub for a mower/garden tractor and forget the 'lectronic stuff.
Fix that Husky, and saw yer wood with that.

Now I never used one of them saws, but they sure made a kick ass moto bike in the late 60's-early 70's ---them Husky's, Cz's and Bultaco's ruled.

My ol' McCulloch saw does my big wood and my little 015 stihl does the limbing.

ol'Ben used to say, a man who burns his own wood is warmed 3 times!
Once when he cuts it,
Once when he splits it
and once when he burns it.
Good luck!
Old 06-17-2020, 10:45 AM

George, I would like to see those old Husky dirtbikes. And I, too, do not like the tinned hash. Home made is better I think!

I will look into getting my 350 saw fixed, and I will just strap on some ear muffs. And the three ways wood warms you? Yes, for real. There is so much fallen wood on my property that just kinda hovers in the the air- I think it would make great firewood. And that beat up trailer on the CC 129 should haul it well. I might lengthen the trailer if needed! Cheers!
Old 06-17-2020, 12:27 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherCT View Post
George, I would like to see those old Husky dirtbikes. And I, too, do not like the tinned hash. Home made is better I think!
Here's mine from my younger (and stupider) days, circa 1974.
Husqvarna 250 WR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200617_0001.jpg (23.5 KB, 70 views)