Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

P&K Cub Cadet Machtech Direct

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Everyone, we have 2 new Sponsors!
Machtech Direct and P&K Cub Cadet (See Links above)

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 03-13-2016, 03:59 PM

Default 2084 Starting Problem

Have a 2084 that will not start without pouring a little gas in the carb.
It will run great all day after starting and will restart while I am using it.
I have changed fuel pumps, but that is not the problem. I have check all
fuel lines and the compression line to the fuel pump and can find no problem.
It seems like I am losing the fuel that should stay in the carb. Does anyone
have any advise.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:31 PM
Grand Member

Following a hunch, put a battery charger on it before you try to start it cold and see if it will start.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybotkin View Post
have any advise.
I have the same issue with a couple of my machines. It seems that when they sit for any length of time the fuel in the carb evaporates and they need to be primed to get them going. A little squirt of gas and they fire right up. I blame it on the gas. I'm tempted to replace the fuel pump with an electric fuel pump, turn the key to run for a second before cranking to fill the carb then light it off.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 03-13-2016, 07:27 PM
Grand Member

I'm not familiar with your carb, but on some, minute pin holes can develop in the bottom of bowl and fuel seep out.
Also some bowls have a nut, and washer seal in the bottom that can leak.
Suggest after the engine cools run your finger under the bowl to check.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:28 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
I have the same issue with a couple of my machines. It seems that when they sit for any length of time the fuel in the carb evaporates and they need to be primed to get them going. A little squirt of gas and they fire right up. I blame it on the gas. I'm tempted to replace the fuel pump with an electric fuel pump, turn the key to run for a second before cranking to fill the carb then light it off.
In the past, I have shared your opinion. I have an 1864 that will not cold start for anything unless I prime it through the choke epening and when I do, it lights right off.

On several occasions when the engine wouldn't start cold, I pulled the top off the carb and it was still full of gasoline.

Putting a charger on the battery made it start, instantly.

Seems to me, if the battery is a little low, the solenoid won't open and let fuel in but as quick as it starts, full voltage hits and it runs.

Don't know if this is correct or not. I'll find out when the weather gets a little warmer.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McKown View Post
In the past, I have shared your opinion. I have an 1864 that will not cold start for anything unless I prime it through the choke epening and when I do, it lights right off.

On several occasions when the engine wouldn't start cold, I pulled the top off the carb and it was still full of gasoline.

Seems to me, if the battery is a little low, the solenoid won't open and let fuel in but as quick as it starts, full voltage hits and it runs.

Don't know if this is correct or not. I'll find out when the weather gets a little warmer.

I'm with Sam, he is bang on. Did same on my CH18. Mike, the one flaw in your battery logic is the longer it takes to start by cranking, the battery is becoming more and more discharged....as time goes on...if there wasn't enough power to open that solenoid after 3 seconds, there is less after 60 seconds.

Perhaps your situation was different. But on the 90's CH's, Sam is correct.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:48 PM
Grand Member

One of my M-18's has an china aftermarket mag coil.
When cold, it turns over slower and will not produce sufficient spark to start.
I can warm it up and it starts.
Also, closing the plug gap to .020 will lower the starting temp.
One of these days I will get a good magneto and eliminate the problem.
You could check your spark when it refuses to start.
Also some engines will kill the spark if insufficient oil pressure, something else to check if spark is absent.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybotkin View Post
have any advise.
Try placing a battery charger on it and after a while try it. A weak battery will let it turn over but not enough voltage while turning over for the carburetor solenoid. If that does not do it, install a diode between the starter solenoid wire and the carburetor solenoid and see if that cures it (can be done at the ignition switch). That is the fix on a 2182 with that issue!
Old 03-14-2016, 06:30 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Wedding View Post
I'm with Sam, he is bang on. Did same on my CH18. Mike, the one flaw in your battery logic is the longer it takes to start by cranking, the battery is becoming more and more discharged...
Maybe you missed where I said I pulled the top off the carb on a couple of occasions when it wouldn't start and the bowl was full of gas. Still wouldn't start.

I'm thinking that because it fires right off with the priming and stays running, the charge system has picked the voltage up and keeps the solenoid open.

Dunno. I've used the battery charger several times and the thing fired right up cold.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McKown View Post

I guess that's a possibility but I have a one that doesn't have a fuel solenoid and it does the same thing.
BX2670 with FEL