Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

P&K Cub Cadet Machtech Direct

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Everyone, we have 2 new Sponsors!
Machtech Direct and P&K Cub Cadet (See Links above)

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Engines > Kohler Engines

Notices

Old 12-09-2011, 05:53 AM

Default Governor assy on a 682?

I would appreciate it much if somebody could post a couple pics of the carb linkage and governor assembly on their 682. Mine has the KT17 Series 1 motor and appears to be missing the governor gear and limiting pin. The manual doesn't show how those parts are installed. I need to see it to determine exactly what parts are missing and how they are installed.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:01 AM

Never mind. Figured it out. The Governor Arm was loose on the Cross Shaft, so the Governor was not able to control the RPMs. All is well.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenrie View Post
Never mind. Figured it out. The Governor Arm was loose on the Cross Shaft, so the Governor was not able to control the RPMs. All is well.
Glad ya got it fixed!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Grand Member

That's great, Tony!

My Grandpa's Cart
Craftsman Lawn Sweeper
Craftsman Plug Aerator
Old 12-13-2011, 09:06 AM

You know, I was actually pretty amazed at the RPMs this KT17 Series 1 motor produced, and for the duration it did it, without throwing a rod. In all, I figure this thing ran for at least 3 minutes, maybe more, at flat-out full throttle, probably in the area of 5K RPM (remember, no governor). Before I got the carb cleaned out, it would only run full throttle with the choke full-on. Apparently the float was stuck and it would only suck sufficient fuel if the choke was full-on. Wouldn't idle or run at lower RPM at all. Anyway, after running for about a combined (several start-ups) 30 seconds or so, the valves would heat up and start sticking, causing a lot of backfiring. I was really afraid the owner was going to blow the engine before I could get it home and really figure out the problem.

Once I got it home I could only keep the engine running that way, while I shot PB "Tune-up in a can" stuff into the carb. I have found that's the first step to take when figuring out carb problems before tearing into it. That stuff is amazing! However, it didn't work in this case, so I pulled the carb, cleaned it out, then reinstalled it. After that, it ran flat-out with no backfiring issues, but I only let it run just a couple seconds like that. At least this time I could throttle back, no choke, and it would idle like it is supposed to. I just had to watch the throttle movement, because as soon as I increased throttle just a little, it would go to full throttle again. I am confident that once I get the governor set the way it should be, all will be fine.

This weekend I'll change the engine oil and trans oil (Hytran only, of course), set the governor properly, and install the new (used) muffler I bought off ebay. Then we'll start looking at what else this 682 may need. Next up is tubes for the tires, so I can fill them with windshield washer fluid.

Boy, I sure get the itch to start upgrading things. I have my 1650 waiting to be completed, sitting in the workshop, and here I am, can't get my mind off upgrading my 682 to a 782 (adding hydraulic lift), a rear Cat 0 three-point and front ports. I even considered buying a three-spool valve off a John Deere 400, so I could operate the front and rear ports and three-point/deck lift separately! Must be Cub fever!
Old 12-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Banned

Tony the fever will make you do some crazy things!
Old 12-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos View Post
Tony the fever will make you do some crazy things!
It sure will!

My Grandpa's Cart
Craftsman Lawn Sweeper
Craftsman Plug Aerator
Old 12-13-2011, 09:47 PM

YESSSSS! Tightened up the governor arm and the thing works exactly like it should. I can now push the throttle to full and the engine runs up smoothly to about 3600 RPM and stays there. When I engage the PTO and deck the RPM drops a hair for just a second and then recovers.

Not only that, but I started checking wiring to see why my lights didn't work. Found a blown fuse. I just happened to have some 10A fuses on hand (miracle). Replaced the blown fuse, and VOILA! I have headlights! Bright ones, too! That was something I didn't expect at all. The PO had run a wire from the headlights to a bolt on the pedestal, which I removed. I figure he tried to wire the headlights direct and never thought to check the fuses.

Still need to replace the "dual exhausts" with the stock muffler I bought off ebay. The muffler turned out to be in much better shape than expected. For under $30, including shipping, I'm really pleased.

Engine oil actually looks good, but I'm going to change the oil and trans oil just for insurance and so I know for sure when the last fluid change was.

Feeling better all the time about my purchase. It's nice when things turn out better than expected.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:53 PM
Grand Member

That's good to see, Tony! Glad everything worked out for you!

My Grandpa's Cart
Craftsman Lawn Sweeper
Craftsman Plug Aerator
Old 12-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACecil View Post
That's good to see, Tony! Glad everything worked out for you!
So true and I'm hoping that my 1650 lights are going to be as easy to fix as yours were!