Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

P&K Cub Cadet Machtech Direct

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Everyone, we have 2 new Sponsors!
Machtech Direct and P&K Cub Cadet (See Links above)

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT)

Notices

Old 05-06-2020, 07:18 AM

Default Scratch treatment

I am a little bummed, I found a scratch on my XT2, not sure how it got there, but it is down to metal. What is the best way to treat this to prevent rust? I would like to do it myself but am in no way a auto body - paint person

thank you in advance,

Rob
Old 05-06-2020, 09:08 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtlion View Post
I am a little bummed, I found a scratch on my XT2, not sure how it got there, but it is down to metal. What is the best way to treat this to prevent rust? I would like to do it myself but am in no way a auto body - paint person

thank you in advance,

Rob
I would get some matching paint.. Apply to scratch with artist brush or Qtip. Let the paint rise and stand above original paint. Let it dry for a few days. Use some 2000 grit paper and wet sand it down flush to original paint. After all done sanding use a little compound to shine back up.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:46 AM
Grand Member

Enjoy it, it is called "PATINA"
If you use your lawnmower as designed, it will get many more over the years.
It will peel, rust, fade and flake off, it will get many dents, repairs, oil leaks,squeals and rattles it will be encrusted with grass/weed acids on/in various areas, as well as bird/rodent droppings.
Mice/squirrels will build winter homes in the cooling fins.
in 10/15 years if your real lucky, a new one will replace it, and you can do a total restoration costing many times it's worth and put it in a climate controlled environment under cover to be taken out on sunny days in parades like classic cars/trucks tractors, boats, airplanes and other vehicles/things of ones choice.
It's a tool,
just like a shovel, excavator, dump truck or or garbage truck.
If you think of it that way, life gets simpler and in perspective.
Stay safe, we have things like pandemics killing people.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperino View Post
I would get some matching paint.. Apply to scratch with artist brush or Qtip. Let the paint rise and stand above original paint. Let it dry for a few days. Use some 2000 grit paper and wet sand it down flush to original paint. After all done sanding use a little compound to shine back up.
thank you - would you advise using primer first?
Old 05-06-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'George View Post
It will peel, rust, fade and flake off, it will get many dents, repairs, oil leaks,squeals and rattles it will be encrusted with grass/weed acids on/in various areas, as well as bird/rodent droppings.
in 10/15 years if your real lucky, a new one will replace it, and you can do a total restoration costing many times it's worth and put it in a climate controlled environment under cover to be taken out on sunny days in parades like classic cars/trucks tractors, boats, airplanes and other vehicles/things of ones choice.
It's a tool,
i understand i was just wanting to prevent any premature rusting
Old 05-06-2020, 10:06 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'George View Post
It's a tool,
Some people keep their things "or try to Keep" things in really nice condition. It can get a little crazy trying to keep up on things like this but I think in this situation its not a bad idea to try and prevent rust from starting if it can be easily helped.

Yes. people are dying from Covid-19... The rest of us are trying to keep ourselves busy with mundane tasks to prevent going insane even if it means creating small jobs to keep our minds in check...
Old 05-06-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Some people keep their things "or try to Keep" things in really nice condition. It can get a little crazy trying to keep up on things like this but I think in this situation its not a bad idea to try and prevent rust from starting if it can be easily helped.

Yes. people are dying from Covid-19... The rest of us are trying to keep ourselves busy with mundane tasks to prevent going insane even if it means creating small jobs to keep our minds in check...
yeah I had only had it since friday so it is brand new that is the one reason i wanted to do something - the dealer i purchased it from is actually sending me touch up paint free -
Old 05-06-2020, 11:53 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
yeah I had only had it since friday so it is brand new that is the one reason i wanted to do something - the dealer i purchased it from is actually sending me touch up paint free -
Nice... Yup. when ya buy from a real dealer and not a box store.. They tend to be a little more friendly.

The touch up paint should be fine without prime..
Old 05-06-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Nice... Yup. when ya buy from a real dealer and not a box store.. They tend to be a little more friendly.

The touch up paint should be fine without prime..
Thank you!
Old 05-07-2020, 08:10 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Thank you!
Little things like that are something the dealer will make back with the first maint part or service sold.
Why more don't do that I'll never understand.
I helped a friend set up a motorcycle dealership in the early 70's
We called every purchaser and asked if all was ok a week or so after the sale.
Or if a person came in and needed a part we didn't have, we called 3 other dealers in the area for the customer. ( We had a reciprocal agreement)
Many many times a customer came back to us for putting their needs at a priority.
Of course this was all before computers/'net.
------We did have microfiche