Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

P&K Cub Cadet Machtech Direct

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Everyone, we have 2 new Sponsors!
Machtech Direct and P&K Cub Cadet (See Links above)

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Engines > Kohler Engines

Notices

Old 06-19-2014, 08:34 AM

Default Kohler Command carb

Hi, not to hijack the other thread I'll start this. In the CH carb 18, 20, 22 is the venturi bore the same? If it is, I would like to open up the jet. How much would I have to open it to go from 18 to 22hp? The solenoid in back came out in pieces so I am going to drill and tap it for a bottom adjuster. Thanks Mike
Old 06-19-2014, 09:18 AM
Grand Member

the solenoid is the anti backfire solenoid. it don't really do anything till you turn it off. the main jet is fixed for emissions. if you ever run one with the choke out just a little they hang on under load allot better. take the stop screw out of the 18 carb and you have a 20 carb
Old 06-19-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvogtvpe View Post
the solenoid is the anti backfire solenoid. it don't really do anything till you turn it off. the main jet is fixed for emissions. if you ever run one with the choke out just a little they hang on under load allot better. take the stop screw out of the 18 carb and you have a 20 carb
Thanks Don, i know it's a backfire solenoid,thought in might regulate the amount of fuel going in. I cut the nose off it and put it back in before i started it. So i don't need that adjuster back there? Didn't want it to be to rich. Is the brass tube going up and down the main jet or is it in the bottom? This thing set outside for a couple years without a hood. I cleaned the tank and blew threw the gas line. Started it up and it needed choke to straighten out, come to find out that fuel line turned to mush as the new gas hit it. Mike
Old 06-19-2014, 11:21 AM
Grand Member

the brass tube is the main
Old 06-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Have any pics or more info to support? I've never heard of this "mod"

Old 06-19-2014, 11:42 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickb72 View Post
Hi, not to hijack the other thread I'll start this. In the CH carb 18, 20, 22 is the venturi bore the same? If it is, I would like to open up the jet. How much would I have to open it to go from 18 to 22hp? The solenoid in back came out in pieces so I am going to drill and tap it for a bottom adjuster. Thanks Mike
Keep in mind, as J-Mech said in the other thread, there are two different versions of the CH22. I don't think will really effect what you're trying to do, but it's something to be aware of

Old 06-19-2014, 11:54 AM
Grand Member

sorry, no pics,no proof. no one has to listen to anything I say. just my common sense and a genius mind for horsepower
Old 06-19-2014, 11:56 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob200521 View Post
Have any pics or more info to support? I've never heard of this "mod"
then again you've probably only heard a fraction of the "mods" that I do or have done.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:20 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
sorry, no pics,no proof. no one has to listen to anything I say. just my common sense and a genius mind for horsepower
Quote:
then again you've probably only heard a fraction of the "mods" that I do or have done.
Probably have only heard of a fraction of the "mods" you have, I never claimed otherwise but by all means, don't share what you know. I merely asked how you know this, found it out, or for some pics so all of us without those genius minds can attempt to comprehend what your "genius mind for horsepower" so easily grasps

Sorry to get off topic, OP. Hope you've got your questions answered in this thread

Old 06-19-2014, 03:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
the brass tube is the main
Don, I think he may have been referring to the tube attached to the upper half of the carb.... but I may be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob200521 View Post
Probably have only heard of a fraction of the "mods" you have, I never claimed otherwise but by all means, don't share what you know. I merely asked how you know this, found it out, or for some pics so all of us without those genius minds can attempt to comprehend what your "genius mind for horsepower" so easily grasps

Sorry to get off topic, OP. Hope you've got your questions answered in this thread
Ryan, Don is the VP on engines. He builds pullers, and has his own engine company. That's what VPE on his name stands for. Vogt Pulling Engines. He knows what he is talking about.

He is referring to a throttle stop screw in the lower half of the CH's carb. It limits throttle travel so it can't fully open the throttle plate. That's why he said it's common sense. If the throttle can't fully open = less HP made. Just like taking the torque plate out of the aneroid on a Cummins motor. It really "opens it up".