Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

P&K Cub Cadet Machtech Direct

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Everyone, we have 2 new Sponsors!
Machtech Direct and P&K Cub Cadet (See Links above)

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 11:31 PM

Default Hydro project - 109 and 1250

One benefit of my driving job is that i get to travel the country and once in a while I can pick up some parts or even whole machines. My last trip was to Florida, and a member here had advertised a pair of 1250's...So on the way home a deal was done. Picked up a sad 1250 with one redeeming feature.. a complete hydraulic lift. Now I have what I needed to build a tilling machine, except....no tiller. And no rear lift, either..

Thanks to another member's posting of a craigslist search engine, I was able to find a 109 that was supposed to come with a tiller, altho none was pictured in the ad. I called the guy, found out in fact it had a 1A tiller, and a rear gearbox, and a rear lift, and a good mower deck. I really didn't need another tractor in the yard, but I haven't even seen any Texas tillers for sale , let alone ones I could afford... Another deal was struck...

On the way home I kept on thinking about what on earth I was going to do with another Hydrostatic Cub... I finally decided to strip everything required for a tiller off it, and make the rest into a mowing tractor for a neighbor.

The previous owner had said he got it to run on the bench, but couldn't get the starter to operate once the engine was in the chassis. I ended up doing a quickie rebuild, the commutator was so black it looked like it had been painted... Apply 12V, and it worked, wire it up, and it started the engine... It actually ran quite well..

More to follow, will add pics in a minute...
Quietlines and narrow frames, mostly projects but I mow with a 1200 and have a 122 set up for pulls. Wandering the country bringing towers to wind farms everywhere, and bringing yellow stuff home to Texas. Also into flatfender jeeps.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:36 PM

Hydro lift on a 1250? I thought all 1250's were manual. Dealer add on maybe? Nice find anyway
Old 05-10-2010, 11:48 PM

The 109 came with a homemade white expanded metal grille, and the headlight panel decal was in sad shape... I'm a sign guy when I have time, so I decided to do a little vinyl work.... I removed the headlight panel and wiped it down with carb cleaner... All the white overspray came off, as well as all the original black lines....

A little fooling around in my sign program and I had a reasonable facsimile of the original design, except I offset it so it would expose new chrome stripes....I also made the stripes slightly wider to expose more chrome... Chrome is good, right? Here is the panel before installation..

ANd here's the tractor after mocking up with the newly redone grille mesh and headlight panel...

I an currently soaking the PTO clutch setscrews...The PTO has a lot of play in it when engaged, I bet the bearing is shot. Gonna need to buy a rebuild kit and bearing, the fiber button wore out in no time as well... Is the bronze one worth the extra $$?

Next on the agenda is pulling the rear fender assembly and getting all the hitch stuff unfrozen and out....Hopefully it is the hitch that is seized and not the rockshaft.....I have some signs to make so it will be a bit before that happens, but that will give the PB blaster time to work too.
Quietlines and narrow frames, mostly projects but I mow with a 1200 and have a 122 set up for pulls. Wandering the country bringing towers to wind farms everywhere, and bringing yellow stuff home to Texas. Also into flatfender jeeps.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:57 PM

I was a little surprised to see the hyudraulic lift myself....The guy I got it from also has one with hydraulic lift......I was waiting for a guy in VT to let go of a 1650 parts machine but this machine was a LOT closer to where I am gonna use it... I really could use a new fender set and running board plates tho....

I have a fleet awaiting rebuilding... a 126 was the first project, finally have most of what I need for it....but going to make these hydros operable first..

Thats a 107 parts machine in the background... got a lot of what the 126 needs.......
Old 05-11-2010, 06:47 AM
Grand Member

Good job on the grill! Thanks for sharing your cubbys and cant wait to see the hydro.lift project when it is done!
Old 05-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Grand Member

Wow, you got some nice goodies!

My Grandpa's Cart
Craftsman Lawn Sweeper
Craftsman Plug Aerator
Old 05-11-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbyfirefighter View Post
Hydro lift on a 1250? I thought all 1250's were manual. Dealer add on maybe? Nice find anyway
I've seen more than a few 1250's with hydo lifts. Maybe some were converted I'm sure it was an option but unfortunately my 1250 is a manual lift.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:55 PM

I'd like to talk you out of that 109, it would go good with my 129 and 149.

Keep the Deck down and the Throttle open!!!
Old 05-11-2010, 05:03 PM

You are going to have to fight the neighbors kid for it... He has a lawnmowing business and it is his next step up in equipment.. He uses mine to mow my yard, but this one is going to be perfect for him....and it will LAST.

Got a little more done today, found the Serial number plate after pulling the tiller gearbox off...

The rear hitch is going to be a problem.. I found out it was the reason the lift arm was all worn out and disconnected..(Original owner had the deck help up with chains to set the height...) At the moment a four foot pipe will move the hitch up and down, but it looks like the retaining pin that goes thru the casting is seized to the casting....

Got all the parts tagged and bagged, gonna make a trip to the car wash soon.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckntran View Post
You are going to have to fight the neighbors kid for it... He has a lawnmowing business and it is his next step up in equipment.. He uses mine to mow my yard, but this one is going to be perfect for him....and it will LAST.
That's ok I think I can whup him~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckntran View Post
Got a little more done today, found the Serial number plate after pulling the tiller gearbox off...

The rear hitch is going to be a problem.. I found out it was the reason the lift arm was all worn out and disconnected..(Original owner had the deck help up with chains to set the height...) At the moment a four foot pipe will move the hitch up and down, but it looks like the retaining pin that goes thru the casting is seized to the casting....

That's why I decided not to remove the one from my 149.

Keep the Deck down and the Throttle open!!!